Quarter-Elliptic springs

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2008_0803box0005.jpg

My 'Glass '27 roadster has quarter elliptics and is the best riding hot rod I've got.

Whats all thatred stuff all over those suspension parts?[ddev

That be International tractor paint brushed on. The front spring is two Model A front springs cut off about 3" beyond the center bolt. There's a leaf that is as long as the main leaf, in order to get it stiff enough. The home made friction shocks don't work very well. I believe that is one of the reasons it rides comfortably.
There are 3/8" by 1 1/2" by about 4" plates welded to the axle. Spring pivots from Speedway are bolted to the plates just below the axle. It is a Chevy Van axle which comes with pretty good brakes and finned cast iron drums. All this info is in response to some earlier questions.

That be International tractor paint brushed on. The front spring is two Model A front springs cut off about 3" beyond the center bolt. There's a leaf that is as long as the main leaf, in order to get it stiff enough. The home made friction shocks don't work very well. I believe that is one of the reasons it rides comfortably.
There are 3/8" by 1 1/2" by about 4" plates welded to the axle. Spring pivots from Speedway are bolted to the plates just below the axle. It is a Chevy Van axle which comes with pretty good brakes and finned cast iron drums. All this info is in response to some earlier questions.

thanks bob w

2008_0803box0002.jpg

Sorry, no additional pics right now. It is stored til spring. Just this long front shot. The ride is quite good. But just a little better than my Model A tudoor with a Model A spring in front of the axle. I try to use very soft shocks in the front and get a good amount of wheel travel. If the spring is too stiff and the shocks are too, then the ride suffers.
One additional unique feature is the axle was originally equipped with parallel leaf springs. I drilled and sleeved the axle to accept '35 Ford wishbones.

I can see this being all kinds of exciting the first time someone hits the gas! Both upper and lower "control arms" are springs soooo, when the toque is applied the axle will twist upwards and then unload big time. The wheel hop will be epic![cl

Moparfinman, speedway has a nice looking kit for around 385.00 springs, shacks, weld on brk.. need to check them out next trip to Nebraska.
Working on drawing for my frame now for my 31 Plymouth. Thanks for the frame measurements, helped alot!

There's really nothing wrong with the stock MOPAR parallel front springs. You can use a later 30's MOPAR front axle with the stock juice brakes or, as my buddy did, adapt an early Ford Econoline beam axle to the original front springs...ez and cheap.

I always use econoline front axles.Good and strong.Parts are cheap and they work great.
Of course a chevy G10 van axle is just like econoline.Side steer and all.Looks like they just copied it.I have a 1967 G10 under my latest project.I bought all the econoline axles my local yard had and they turned me on to the G10.
They both work great!!![;)

miller_fwd_frontspring2.jpg

Here's a really cool double quarter elliptic set up on a front drive Miller Indy car.

Perley, No build thread on the roadster as I built it before I got a digital camera.

Kroozer is right. Parallel leaf springs work well for front suspension. I have built 3 rods with that arrangement. Only issue for some would be the frame horns extend about 17" in front of the axle with typical 34" springs.

Latest posts

Back