Utility Trailer Project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmw56

Busted and Rusted on Route 66
I have been wanting to do this project for awhile now and since it been nice weather here in New Mexico these last coupe of months. No snow in sight and temps in the 50s-60s. I have a boat and trailer I haven't used for 15 years so I decided to convert the trailer into a utility trailer. That I can use! :D

I started by cutting off all the boat related stuff and the small 1 7/8" coupler.

The axle and carriage unbolted so it was easy to remove and makes it easier to work on the frame.

For the bed frame I'm using 3" X 3/16" angle. 60"X120" dimensions

Mocked it up with the deck boards to see how it looks.

Hooked it up and drove it around. Hope those rotten tires don't blow up!

Are you sure you aren't just flaunting your nice weather, while the rest of us sit in the ice box?....

No, I wish were getting snow. It's been getting cold at night so I don't go outside to work on it until about noon. I taking advantage of it while I can.
Went to my eye doctor today he says he leaving tomorrow for Florida to play golf in the snow!

Painted and starting to put the deck on. Using a combination of 2 X 10s and 2 X 6s the spacing came out great. Just used Hem fir didn't want to spend the money for treated. Tail lights are mounted

Clearance Lights are on.

The deck boards are screwed on except for the rear where the angle hold the ends down and protects them. If you need to replace a board just unscrew and slide it out.

Wheels are at Discount Tire waiting for some new shoes. Carlisle 215R75X14 Trailer tire

Real nice job on the trailer.....and thanks for rubbing in the fact that it's too cool to work until mid-day.....just what we needed to hear!

Most boat trailers turned into anything else tend to look like just that, and not very attractive.
You did an excellent job on the transformation, no one would ever know! [;)

That is a great sized trailer, very handy. I built one similar a few years back from an old travel trailer frame. I finally sold it last summer because people (family) got so used to borrowing it some of them quit asking and I got tired of fixing the wiring and stuff they messed up.

Good job on the trailer. I built my car trailer on a heavy boat trailer frame, but I used heavier mobile home axles instead of the boat axle. Thinking about redoing it and putting some rubber torsion axles under it and eliminating the springs so it will sit lower. Added benefit would be able to use standard tires instead of the oddball 14.5's.

Latest posts

Back