More Shift Knobs, Post Em Here

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Autozone shifter is actually pretty cool looking. Why is it cheap garvinzoom. Is it plastic? That first one is very interesting too. I'm sort of a shift knob Junkie.

It has a plastic ring at the bottom but that is not the problem. The part with the pen pointing at it has set screws in it, that block dot. There are three of them and they will not stay tight. I tried blue loctite with no success. You put the ring at the bottom on first, then the collar with the set screws. Tighten down the set screws, screw the knob on and then pull the collar back up to cover the base. When the set screws lossen the collar sticks inside the knob and is a pain to get back out so I just put the factory knob back in. This was in my Mazda daily BTW.
As you can see in the pic the top comes off also, there is a chamber in there for weight or whatever...:rolleyes:
shiftknobs014.jpg

help me please Mr Gastrick

More.............

WWI Pilot (currently in service)

Hey Gas I love the WW1 Pilot (hmmm cant think why a guy called Biggles would like it :D)- I found the makers website once but lost the link :eek: can you post it here for me

i made this for the 28. its a 1932 Smith drilled and tapped to fit on a hurst/olds shifter. If i ever get pulled over i will have both hand in the air and doing some fast talking.

Attachments

• CIMG2462.JPG
    CIMG2462.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 102
2007_1123ssfr0231.jpg

Made out of a custom cane a friend of mine used. Going into the current project. The brass part is from a horse harness.

Last edited:
I've been collecting stuff for 6 months for my rat project and here is my idea for a shift knob. I'm somewhat a "war between the states" nut and I bought an old sword from a guy for $15 that looks like it could be the real mccoy but I'm relatively sure it's a copy. I'm planning to weld it to a stub and use the whole sword for a shifter. I think it ought to look pretty cool. Harleyboy
IMG_1214.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

That would be cool Harleyboy. I'd make sure that it's replica first though. I did something similar in one of my cars, but I just used the handle of a bayonet. Look closely in this photo and you can see it.

Very cool Gastrick. That's the look I'm thinking about but with the blade going down into the shifter boot (blade all the way). Just when I thought that I had an original idea. I guess everything that can be thought of has been. HB

Harley Boy, and Gastrick - No, just when "I" thought I had three original ideas, I've seen all three posted here! GRRRR!!!! It proves one thing - we all think alike and thats a scary thought! My favorite idea is the the horse harness knob. A really old and rusty one - and I'd use the entire metal hame for a shifter with all the hardware included!

http://www.buggystuff.com/re/hamesre.jpg

The sword and the bayonette both look cool too. I've been on the lookout for both at a descent price too. Their getting a little pricey though.

Last edited:
tikiself

here is a photo of the clay sculpture i made that i plan to make a resin mold from. it is atiki of me. any body here ever work with RTV and plastic resin?

Pablo

Attachments

• DSC01615 (Medium).JPG
    DSC01615 (Medium).JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
If your clay has Sulphur in it,like many brands of Plasticene,
then your Silicone mold won't cure properly,unless you seal the clay first.

Silicone can be contaminated by a few different thing,like Sulphur,
then it won't set up properly.

Chavant Plastalina(sp?) and Kleen Klay are supposed to be Sulphur free.

Kleen Klay is MUCH less expensive.Available in at least 2 different hardnesses.

You can get spray on Shellac,to seal clays containing Sulphur.

Latest posts

Back