Time to show my ignorance.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

utilityart

I'm sure this won't be the last time... this weekend.
Anyway, I've been looking around for starter/donors for my (to be) project. I really like the look of the big wheel dually but I'm not sure how to get there.
Would a truck like this be a good start? Or would I be wasting a lot of $$ on parts that I won't need and may not have a demand to recoup any investment.
The second pic is the wheel/tire look to I'm thinking of. If I understand the cabs are the same size as half tons but I done know about the rest like grill, hood, etc.

Thanks,
Kevin

Attachments

• 34flatbed.jpg
    34flatbed.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 43eb_3.jpg
    43eb_3.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 139
The first one has got really old style running gear under it. Some of the stuff from the 30s had mechanical brakes and weird rear axles.....
The second one was, I believe, a Dodge Motor home running gear under an old truck.
My 2 cents would be to go the way of the second truck.
The first truck has a sweet cab and front end on it.

Last edited:
Here's a couple of photos of that same truck that I took at Billetproof Florida. To add, you are right, the cabs on the bigger trucks are usually the same, as are the hoods and grills. Usually, it's just the fenders that are different.

Kevin... grab that first truck immediatly. That is one of the most popular truck cabs out there not to mention that grille is worth more than most Rats.

It wouldn't be very hard to put that cab on a newer 1 ton dually frame.

Cool truck but he needs to lose the cultivator blade in front. That's just lame to have that up front at a show. It's an accident waiting to happen. Hope he has really good insurance!

Thanks for the advice. I looked around a bit and found a 1 ton dually but it seems like the later model stuff has smaller wheels. Not sure I'd get the right look.
They want quite a bit for the 34 flatbed so that one may not be in the budget but I have found a few other cabs that would fit. I'll do a little more looking around and a lot more learning to see what might work.

Kevin

$$$

Kevin,
Some of my fav builds used a big truck like the one u posted. It also depends on the price you can score one at! :D:D:D

BoB

donor truck

This is available at a reasonable price. It may be a good donor for the drive train and a lot if misc parts. I could probably make some money back selling the body. The camper is probably just scrap though.
I'm not sure of either wheel size though. After I get in from mowing the lawn I'll spend a few minutes trying to see how they compare.

Kevin

Attachments

• 3pa3o83l1ZZZZZZZZZ957b1f000002dd21c76.jpg
    3pa3o83l1ZZZZZZZZZ957b1f000002dd21c76.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 43
I probably wouldn't scrap that nice old gmc motor home, plus it is an independent front suspension which will be hard to lower and they always look like crap with open fenders. I think you are looking for a class A motorhome with a solid front axle and if you get into the later 70s you can find one with disc brakes on all 4. Right now I know a guy with one for $800 and it has 6 (almost) new 8x19.5 tires and a 440 that runs good.
You might look around and get one for a lot cheaper. I just hauled 2 motor homes in yesterday that I got for free, both class C though, one is a Toyota and the other is an E300 econoline. Both runners.

Kevin... grab that first truck immediatly. That is one of the most popular truck cabs out there not to mention that grille is worth more than most Rats.

It wouldn't be very hard to put that cab on a newer 1 ton dually frame.

Cool truck but he needs to lose the cultivator blade in front. That's just lame to have that up front at a show. It's an accident waiting to happen. Hope he has really good insurance!

I WANT THOSE TIRES & RIMS!!!!!! :cool::cool::cool: I'm not interested in a dually set up but that size rim & tire are truly badass and would be perfect for my 51 f1!!! Somebody said they look like 22 inch rims??? Can anybody confirm that for me???

T1

I'm inclined to think 19.5's. Trying to judge by the guy standing there. But then again, the tires aren't particularly tall.....

I probably wouldn't scrap that nice old gmc motor home, plus it is an independent front suspension which will be hard to lower and they always look like crap with open fenders. I think you are looking for a class A motorhome with a solid front axle and if you get into the later 70s you can find one with disc brakes on all 4. Right now I know a guy with one for $800 and it has 6 (almost) new 8x19.5 tires and a 440 that runs good.
You might look around and get one for a lot cheaper. I just hauled 2 motor homes in yesterday that I got for free, both class C though, one is a Toyota and the other is an E300 econoline. Both runners.

I wasn't planning on using the the RV cab to make a rat rod. I was thinking of it for the engine/trans, seats, brakes, rear axle, wheels, and possibly the steering column and related stuff.
I'd think I could sell the front clip for a decent amount. They said the camper section needs work so that is what I was thinking would be scrap.

Kevin

keep in mind that those old big a$$ wheels have wide a$$ bolt patterns. Alot of times there split rims. If your interested in big rims with a somewhat normal bolt pattern (8 lug) I would recommend going to a salvage yard and looking for newer dump trucks or tow trucks. The F450 has a big rim, and you could get endless simulators for them.

Does anybody know what years they stopped using the split wheels?
lately I have found a lot of "big trucks" for sale like early 40's IH with a five spoke looking wheel, a 41 GMC, and a 46 Chevy. All big wheels duals. So far the 46 is winning since it has a title and is the cheapest. All of them seem to be is pretty decent shape from the drive bys I have done. I'm hoping to go look at them closer pretty soon.

Latest posts

Back