BOBISTHEOILGUY a BSer?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

Motor mouth ratchet jaw!
just like the title
i have read that website a bunch of times and he sure sounds like he is hard-selling things half the time.
i just read a thing about those do-it-yourself AC recharge kits and how well they have worked for 10s of 1000's of happy customers for years and was immediately informed about how ONLY a PROFESSIONAL should even TOUCH an AC unit or it will cost you THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS
impotence/madness/death of first born yadda yadda

has any one else noticed this or is it all in my imagination?[S

there is a reason mechanics have a bad rep.
there are more money grabbers than really honest ones
they are trained to charge you big money for things you dont need.
thats why an honest local mechanic is so important.

He's probably paid by Shell Oil, so that should answer your question......:rolleyes:

As far as Doing it Yourself, if I didn't do it myself, it wouldn't get done most of the time. Lots of shade tree remedies are much better and cheaper than the legal way or the dealer way. I don't need the powers that be to tell me how to take care of myself, even though they try to do it anyway. If something kills me, it was me, not them that caused it, so why should they worry?

BTW
I was researching those do it yourself recharge kits for my AC
It was blowing a little bit cold but not nearly enough.
I got one that has the gauge and followed directions carefully.
It was 96f and after I got done I hopped in and drove around.
With the ac turned all the way up
It was too cold in the cab.
As an added bonus
Nobody died and I think my erm.....plumbing still works. ;)

i work on my own a/c's and we install new ones on the drills we work on. 134a no problem, r12 well that is a different story. but i haven't done a hole lot to my home unit.

I've always done my own automotive A/C work. I'll continue until I get too old and then probably just do with out it. I checked on getting an evap core put in my Eagle. Everybody wanted at least $600 bucks. That's BS. Most people think A/C is some magical high tech system and pay the price. $50 for the evap, three cans of cold stuff, rip the whole dash out, some major backache, a little vacuum, and there it is. Maybe six hours total, with a nap. The second time the dash came out, for the heater core, took about four hours. I learned the hard way to change both at the same time. :( That's all.

AC is a touchy subject...Here in Ontario, we have laws about releasing the refrigerant into the air. AC techs must account for whatever refrigerant that they use and recover. They do sell the do it yourself kits here, so they are kind contradicting themselves. Many people that have a small leak in their AC just add a can every once in a while instead of fixing the system properly.

I remember when R12 was about to be made illegal, everyone was going to the auto parts stores and stocking up. I had about 12 cans on the shelf, but that has been used up over the years. A local ac shop still saves R12 when he evacuates a system and keeps it for his friends who haven't switched over yet to 134.

R12 cooled so much better.

Don

I have done major a/c repair work on one of my daily driver saturns. This became a no- brainer when even a known repair shop said 1500 dollars for evaporator and compresser replace. This was a confidence builder, now i have tackled other jobs, like r-12 to r-134 conversions. Great satisfaction doing it yourself

Latest posts

Back