318 LA engine carb?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

Motor mouth ratchet jaw!
On my engine does it matter what carb I stick on it?
I mean
I can put any carb that is compatible in a 30 plus year spread can't I?
I keep looking at holly for instance
Or do I need to scrape paint and pinpoint the year and make of the car the engine came out of?

This adapter my work
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Universal-2-Barrel-Carburetor-Adapter,67.html
1351933_L_1c678b40.jpg

2 bbl or 4 bbl? Can use an adapter like Old Iron posted to change 2 bbl to a 4 bbl. Stock was probably a Carter. Holley will work, as well as Edelbrock as long as the base flange is the same or you use a adapter to fit both.

2 bbl or 4 bbl? Can use an adapter like Old Iron posted to change 2 bbl to a 4 bbl. Stock was probably a Carter. Holley will work, as well as Edelbrock as long as the base flange is the same or you use a adapter to fit both.

Carter is what is on it now
But the aluminum tag is missing so it is impossible to find out what specific carb it is
So that I don't know what rebuild kit to buy.

i bought a new chinese carb
no instructions of course
and i dont know jack dookie about carbs.
plus i have no idea which ones i have out of the seemingly thousands of slight variations
so even though i cant afford it.
i am hiring a carb shop to fix my problem
i am going to hand them both carbs and say make one of em work
and in an absolute worst case scenario
i will once again rent a trailer and haul this 7200 pound behemoth to the carb place
but getting it on and off a trailer
by myself
with only a come-along is an all day sucker
if i ever get this truck running
THEN i will clean out the gastank

my spinal arthritis makes this kind of stuff extremely painful.
i can bend over something for an hour or two
but later i can barely move

I commend you for knowing your limitations and acting accordingly [cl [cl [cl
Most would start on the repair only to find what you knew but, mess with it anyway and end up spending more to get it straightened out :)
I wouldn't hook the fuel line up without blowing compressed air through it to remove the rust and scale inside the tubing.

I went with a friend to look at a piece of property and next door behind an old building was a military ambulance that looked like the one you bought, just not in as good of shape :cool:

i can bend over something for an hour or two
but later i can barely move

Know the feeling! Used to work under the hood all day & into the night! Now after about an hour or so of that... the ol Tripper has to take a break!

BoB

I commend you for knowing your limitations and acting accordingly [cl [cl [cl
Most would start on the repair only to find what you knew but, mess with it anyway and end up spending more to get it straightened out :)
I wouldn't hook the fuel line up without blowing compressed air through it to remove the rust and scale inside the tubing.

I went with a friend to look at a piece of property and next door behind an old building was a military ambulance that looked like the one you bought, just not in as good of shape :cool:
thanks daddio
i just had a brainstorm
i have AAA premier and get free towing
i am gonna try to get THEM to haul this monster to the shop!
let somebody else bust their ass
i already did

thanks daddio
i just had a brainstorm
i have AAA premier and get free towing
i am gonna try to get THEM to haul this monster to the shop!
let somebody else bust their ass
i already did
Now your thinking with your dipstick Jimmy (billy) :D

I would clean the tank before I tried to run gas through it. That is probably what is wrong with your carb now, it's full of rust. I would get it running on a 5 gallon jug first, then tackle the lines and tank.

[cl
I would clean the tank before I tried to run gas through it. That is probably what is wrong with your carb now, it's full of rust. I would get it running on a 5 gallon jug first, then tackle the lines and tank.

i think im gonna go get the tank tomorrow .
take it home and clean it
hot soapy water
alcohol
acid
HOT water water water
heat
alcohol
diesel

Latest posts

Back