'51 Ford starter button?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Crown

Long story short:

Replaced voltage reg because I was reading all kinds of crazy with the multimeter.

Solenoid started acting up, would sort of click, then squeal, then nothing. So, that was replaced.

Now, I have absolutely NOTHING. No click, no sound, sweet f.a.

I have 6 volts at the terminal on the solenoid, 6 volts on the ignition when I turn the key. Everything that has power(lights, horn, fuel pump, etc)...but when I put the multimeter on the two wires for the start button...I have no reading? What the hell?

What am I missing here?

Help?

Thanks!

Go back to the basics.....start over from the beginning

from what you've said the regulator you suspected of being bad so you replaced it..... did that cause the solenoid issue?? Or am i reading your post wrong?
In any event go back to where you began.... and make sure you are not overlooking a crossed connector or such on the solenoid and regulator.... I am not familiar with the 51 ford wiring circuit but I would think that the solenoid would work similar to the later ones.... the battery goes to the one large terminal of the solenoid and the other to the starter...correct... the other wire is a feed from the starter button and the other is a feed to the ignition coil correct?
newer solenoids small terminals are marked with an S and I... switch and ignition... does yours have this? S would be from your starter button which would get power from the ignition switch, so on starter button switch would be hot at the button which the key on.... the other gets hot when you hit the button and sends power to the S terminal of the solenoid.... that would engage your starter.... if you have nothing to the starter button with the key on, check if there is a battery feed for the key off your regulator... all this and I haven't asked if it's neg or positive ground and if you could send photos...
probably would be better if we could see it....[S

The solenoid started acting up a few days after the regulator was replaced. Its only got one terminal for the wire coming from the startrr button. I did notice the contacts on the starter button seem a bit worn out, so I'm hoping a new one will do the trick.

The truck is positive ground btw.

Verify whether your solenoid is a grounded base or non, they make them both, some you actually have to appliy the ground instead of the hot, hope that makes sense.

Be wary of junk Chinese solenoids. I finally had to go to the junk yard to get a good one for my old Ford truck.

Hop the solenoid with a old screwdriver to see if the solenoid is the problem.

I jumped the solenoid, and verified that the solenoid work...since all it does id click. I have power to the solenoid. Replaced the blown out wire from ignition to coil...have 6 volts there when key is on.

Took out the coil to look at it, and noticed the coil was bulging...found a new one and I'll swap it today to see what happens. The only other thing I can think of is a bad ground somewhere...

Stay tuned...

Lets back up a bit....

We are talking about a Ford firewall mount solenoid and a starter without a solenoid correct?

If you jumped across the heavy terminals of the solenoid, the starter should be cranking. If all you get is a click, then you have a either a dead battery or a stuck starter.

You need to have the base of the solenoid contacting ground (+). If you put power (-) to the small terminal, you should get cranking. Pull the small wire and check resistance between the small terminal and ground - it should be zero (full continuity).

1. Hop the main terminals of the solenoid - it should crank over.
If not, it's a battery or starter issue.

If it does crank...
2. Check continuity between small terminal and ground.
Should be zero. (zero Ohms = full continuity)

3. If you put power to the small terminal and it cranks, you've either got a bad wire to the button, a bad button, or bad ground at the other side of the button.

Simple diagram:
ford-tractors-wiring-diagram-harnesses.jpg

Last edited:
Wicked awesome help...!

The battery is good, fully charged...by using your diagnostics, I determined thay there is something going on with the starter itself.

Pulled the starter, and discovered the armature was pretty badly worn, brushes toast and needs an overhaul period. Thank goodness I'm an aircraft mechanic, and can have this puppy rebuilt in no time.

Once I get the starter refreshed, I'll go back to square one...

Are you gonna make sure the starter

Wicked awesome help...!

The battery is good, fully charged...by using your diagnostics, I determined thay there is something going on with the starter itself.

Pulled the starter, and discovered the armature was pretty badly worn, brushes toast and needs an overhaul period. Thank goodness I'm an aircraft mechanic, and can have this puppy rebuilt in no time.

Once I get the starter refreshed, I'll go back to square one...

is FAA/PMA approved!!! LOL.... have my Private pilot license w/HP endorsement....also got my ap license... did most of the work on my 1959 Cessna Skylane...had a AI sign off the work....100 hour inspects and such....had a 430 cube 6cyl continential engine.... fixed gear... manual flaps... nice plane..... I suppose you work on a bit more sophisticated hardware now......:)

Wicked awesome help...!

Thank goodness I'm an aircraft mechanic, and can have this puppy rebuilt in no time....

ummm......No offense but I hope you don't work on a plane I am in!:D Just kidding. I am a GM tech (13yrs) and still make simple mistakes sometimes![S keep at it you will get it. [P

Hahahahaha!!!

No kidding...part of the problem is that I'm so used to critical thinking with aircraft parts, and their intracasies, that I totally overlook the obvious.

The other problem, is I'm more used to 60 year old motorcycles...my last bike was a '52 panhead, first one was a '73 shovelhead...AND I'm only 31( a kid! )

This old girl has been a fun, frustrating and totally enrichening experience...

Ok, enough mushy mushy. Get back to work!

Latest posts

Back