Homemade whitewalls

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the content of the link,,,sorry..hope this helps

Just post the pic's here.You need to be a member to view them there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading a bunch of really good stuff, actually one Utube video piece, on the Hamb site..we decided it was worth a try on our 56 with skinny WW's. Tacked some angle iron to an old spindle, locked her in the vise, mounted the wheel and tire...started with 40 grit overlap type sanding disc on 4 inch grinder then up to 80 grit.. used the cement mixer to rotate the assembly. Finished up with 120 Eastwood sanding rolls on the die grinder..Lestleys Bleach White and done. Time consuming but cheap!! Us a light touch or you can ruin your tire. The black rubber over the white rubber is very thin. Our first attempt was on a junk tire. Hope this helps...
ww1.jpg
ww2.jpg
ww3.jpg
ww4.jpg
ww5.jpg

I was concerned about cutting too much off the sidewall when I started doing this, so I cut up a practise tire to see what it was doing. As you see the 'damage' is minimal.

The shot where the side wall is pinched shows what weather checking does. Probably more dangerous than I suspected in compromising the sidewall.

I like the concrete mixer as a tire grinder-!! My kinda tool..

PA41

Attachments

• P1010596.JPG
    P1010596.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 158
  • P1010597.JPG
    P1010597.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 138
  • P1010600.JPG
    P1010600.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 160
I tried it , using a grinder, 80 grit and about 30 minutes per wheel came out pretty good I thought

Attachments

• whitewalls.jpg
    whitewalls.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 180
I saw a pickup at the RUN TO SUN show that had them painted on.They looked great.My brother noticed little cracks and got down close.Sure enough they were painted on with a brush.They really looked good! I had never thought of that.

Anyone know of any certain kinds of paint you should look for that wont just crack up and fall off? A fella on cardomain who painted his on his inter kb-1 rat's tires came up good, he said it gave them a "patina" look. I asked him what he used, but havent had a reply from him.

I tried a tire paint pen on my mate's mercedes benz, a day later there was next to nothing left. Nice waste of $10.....

Im gonna give this a shot over the weekend. Whats the deal with upkeep on the white walls? I heard that tire wet/shine bleeds the black into the white and makes a big mess.......any truth to this? Would bleach white be ok for keeping them clean? My biggest concern is ruining a good set of tires. You better believe i'll get a practice tire.

would it be easiest to do the tire on the rim or off?

Castrol superclean works great on ground www. I did some a couple of weeks ago. Bfg radial t/a. One has a seam in the white though, but who cares it is for the back, under the skirts.

I did my first one today, and mine has that friggin seam too. Firestone wilderness suttin or others. Im still happy with the results, Cant knock free

I did my first one today, and mine has that friggin seam too. Firestone wilderness suttin or others. Im still happy with the results, Cant knock free

I haven't read through this thread for awhile, but I assume you me where the ends of the WW overlap - consider that the sign of a true rat rod white wall! I've had good luck with the seams for the most part. I've used about 4 different types of tires - 3 were 3/4" WW's though. The lettered ones are my snow tires (that I run all year long). I wonder if the WW's have better seam match up than the letters?

i tried grinding my tires today, i wasnt happy with the outcome, there wasnt enough whitewall under the black, i guess different tires have more of a whitewall under neath then others, i guess im going to have to buy the real ones

It wasn't wide enough or deep enough?

If you really study a sidewall you can usually see a slight difference where the white is gonna end (width wise). Maybe not on brand new tires.

Maybe we should be posting pics of what we have? I'll grab some up in a bit.

Latest posts

Back