GM 2 wire alternator

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daman

I have the first wire going to the starter. Where does the other one go to?

This the Delco internal regulator style, not sure what your using.

Attachments

• DelcoSI2wiring.jpg
    DelcoSI2wiring.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 97
That's the one Sniper. I don't have a dash light to wire. Do I need to even wire it anywhere?

That's the one Sniper. I don't have a dash light to wire. Do I need to even wire it anywhere?

Nope, you can just leave it. Won't hurt anything. That terminal on the regulator provides a ground when the alt isn't running, or isn't charging. Since the charge indicator light receives power from the key switch, the power will flow from the switch, down the wire, across the bulb, down the remaining wire to the regulator terminal and ground to the case, causing the bulb to light. (If the alt isn't charging, or if the key is on and the engine isn't running.)

The reason the light goes out when running, is the fact that the alt is charging and the regulator has switched that terminal from a ground, to a power source. Power is now going from the alt regulator terminal, up the wire to the bulb, and at the same time, down from the key switch to the bulb, where it 'deadheads' and stops. (You have eliminated the ground.) No flow. No power is flowing across the bulb element, so it won't glow. It really is a simple system when you see how it works.

Terminal 1 is power from the ign(through a light or resister) 2 is the sensing wire and can be run back to battery anywhere. You have to at least use a resister if you eliminated the warning bulb because you need ign power to exite the alt, and if you dont run a light or a resister it will backfeed your ignition and keep the car running after the key is off.

Terminal 1 is power from the ign(through a light or resister) 2 is the sensing wire and can be run back to battery anywhere. You have to at least use a resister if you eliminated the warning bulb because you need ign power to exite the alt, and if you dont run a light or a resister it will backfeed your ignition and keep the car running after the key is off.

We run that wire to the accessory side of the ignition switch. That way you don't heed a resistor or a light, and you don't get run on either.

We run that wire to the accessory side of the ignition switch. That way you don't heed a resistor or a light, and you don't get run on either.

That would work, but if you were parked listening the radio you may be keeping power to the alt( may damage the diodes or rectifier) im not a alt expert.LOL

man sneaky that is some of best explainin i ever saw! i'm actually savin this thread to faves for when i get discouraged starin at my shiny new mess of colored spaghetti... its a big box of TERRIFIED right now but soon, it'll be a wiring harness... i hope. [S

OOPS, did I screw up and drop the ball. True enough, the alt needs to be excited through that wire, just as others have stated. Well...at least I didn't get crucified because I didn't have it completely correct. :eek: Sorry about that Daman, hope it didn't mess things up for you. :eek::eek:

Latest posts

Back