Best crimping tool!?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
Ok... I got an EZ Wiring kit & it seems to be pretty straight forward & I'll be installing it every shortly. Anyone had a recommendation on a good crimping tool? I would prefer the ratcheting type.

BoB

aircraft

the best ones l ever found is a pair from the boeing surplus store.
good quality and crimps are first rate.

try a army/navy store or if ya know someone in the airline or airplane repair business.

Later:cool:

Last edited:
I use a pair like this everyday made by Klein
31zWaS1gfiL.jpg

Best crimping tool

I have found the Klein to be the best.the ones that included in with terminal kits are scrap. Stay outside/Live within

We have a few in the shop, some expensive racheting types and others, but the one we use the most is the one pictured above. It works great and is pretty foolproof.

As for soldering vs crimping, it is a personal choice. I came out of the marine industry and soldered connections were forbidden on any boat. The American Boat and Yacht Council and the Coast Guard both spell out that terminals must be crimped. The reason is, soldering creates hard, brittle spots and the wires can break over time. We use only Ancor components as they are really high quality and hold up to corrosion well.

But it really comes down to what you are more comfortable with.

Don

Wow... I like these & they're avail at da Home Depot! Thanks!!! [cl

BoB

I work for Motorola and use these every day, use the bare terminals sized for the same gauge wire and shrink everything. Buy a good set of strippers too, the kind with multiple marked strip holes. Practice a few crimps before you start the job and crimp opposite of the slit in the terminal end, you will NEVER have trouble if you do it this way!! Good luck!

yep...

agreed i never use insulated terminals, well unless im being lazy

Honestly, I'd rather solder and shrink wrap or use newer weather pack connectors..... Kept my old weather pack tool from the dealership I was at... nobody else used it.... so I "borrowed" it...lol

Latest posts

Back