sold the chopper, bought another project...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfg455

The Hot Rod Cop
I sold my old FXR (100K miles on it) and my 107" soft tail chopper. Bought an 05 roadking for me and the missus and bought this for my next chopper project. It is a 99 Buell X1. I have a hardtail frame, 200x18 and a 21X3.25 spoked wheel set and will be using the Buell motor and front forks. the forks will be set in a set of big dog 3* trees to make them a wide glide. It will be a jockey shifted all black bar hopper.

Attachments

• buell yamy als 009.jpg
    buell yamy als 009.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 63
  • buell yamy als 019.jpg
    buell yamy als 019.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 70
Well all I have is a pile o parts and not alot o time to work on it just yet. But I still collect what I need as I go.

Attachments

• buell chopper1.jpg
    buell chopper1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 72
So here is the update on the Buell Chopper. I have some time between projects and thought the best way to pick up the shop is to put the Buell motor into the frame. Well it was a good idea.

The frame is an 84 sporty frame that was sent to Led Sled customs when my buddy owned it. They installed the hard tail rear for a 200mm rear tire. Now in the past they have done ecellent work. This frame, not so much. My buddy had to send it back because they put a 130mm rear on it. They fixed it free of charge but he could see the back bone was tweaked a little.

So fast forward to where I bought the frame off of him and now am assembling it. The rear head hit the frame when I tried to put the motor in. Took off the rocker boax and got the motor in but cant get the box back on. need 1/2" clearance. take out motor, slice top tube, jack up tube (was bowed down before and was the issue we knew about) weld it back up, clearance is good, put motor back in.

New problem: entire motor area is 1" too short to fit the motor in. Front head hits the front tube, mounts are 1" away from fitting, rear mount is at an angle due to front hitting. They must not have measured when they cut it apart to put the right rear on.

Soooo.... Now I get to cut the frame in half, stretch it 1", realign it, and put it back together. Should have just built my own frame like I did with my last Bike and then I would know it was right!
99buell5.jpg

99buell4.jpg

99buell3.jpg

99buell2.jpg

99buell1.jpg

well that out to do it! Added 5/8" to the frame and put it back together. now the motor fits all around but I have to make a little clearance boss underneath. Minor 3 steps back to get to 1 step forward.
99buell6.jpg

So I was looking through the bike section again (when I should be doing other stuff!) and thought I would post a newer pick of the Buell chopper. SLow going as with all of my junk. I think this one is 4th in line? 5th? I don't remember. :D

ResizedImage_1361907758296.jpg

I am thinking just a frisco'ed king sporty tank. It kind has a west coast vibe to it as I am using mid controls and the high T bars. [;)

So I was bored again and started making the rear fender support. It will bend over the top of the fender into a short square sissy bar. I made it out of stainless round stock and stainless flat stock welded to gether.

ResizedImage_1363732436965.jpg

ResizedImage_1363732470448.jpg

So I got the rea sisy bar done. In hind sight I think I will bend everything first then weld it together. It did not like being bent afterwards. Kinda distorted a little. I made a seat pan and mounted it on there as well. Just trying to score a tank from my buddy then I can finish the exhaust. Till haven't figured out my jockey shift clutch set up yet. I want to retain mid controls so it is being dificult...

ResizedImage_1364410849075.jpg

ResizedImage_1364410873474.jpg

ResizedImage_1364410823390.jpg

I have been plugging away on the Buell whilist waiting for a snow bank in front of my other shop door to melt. Once the snaow bank is gone I can move the datsun so I can move the 50 GMC so I can do the metal work etc. So I have the exhaust tacked together and have started on my mid control jockey clutch set up.

ResizedImage_1364826108864.jpg

IMG_20130330_184446_754.jpg