Problem with daily beater

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patina

I got an old 88 gmc 4x4 for a beater... Just noticed i have no park lights, no horn, no dash light, or dome light ?? Any clues?

checked fuses and the cleaned up the grounds on the headlight harness... gona do the same with the tail light harness tommrow.

Check the tail light fuse first...

I got an old 88 gmc 4x4 for a beater... Just noticed i have no park lights, no horn, no dash light, or dome light ?? Any clues?

Your dash lights / instrument lamps are powered off the tail lamps... I believe the horn and dome lights are operated off a seperate circuit.... as is the parking lamps.....if you need wiring diagrams for that let me know.... I have them.... kid's got a 89 GMC 4x4..... be glad to scan it and send it to you via email....
So you know, the tail lamps on those are prone to problems.... they are kind of like composite with built in circuit boards..... the corrode and short out....also, if you have a trailer lamp harness check it too....might be shorted out..... just a few starting points....

I will take you off on that offer about the wiring diagrams...ill pm you with my email thanks.

Forgot to mention i redone the truck recently and it was stored in doors all winter and everything worked fine then.

No problem....

I will take you off on that offer about the wiring diagrams...ill pm you with my email thanks.

Forgot to mention i redone the truck recently and it was stored in doors all winter and everything worked fine then.

sounds like a ground issue...... considering all worked well before.... either ground or corrosion issue.... but if inside, I wouldn't think that corrosion would be an issue...... I'll get your email and send out the diagrams tomorrow asap..... at work right now....

Yeah i hate that curuit board stuff... I replaced the tail lights today and cleaned up all the grounds for the tail light and head light harness and it worked. Still got no horn but i tried it with a test light and it lit up so the horns at fault there.

Thanks for the help. And that mice or rats didnt chew it....

Is it wired for a trailer hitch?

My trailer pigtail got wet and shorted the dash lights, tail lights and inside light.
I then found out that I have TWO fuseblocks- one under the dash, one under the hood. Check both!

Sorry- I didn't see page 2.
Maybe the horn got water in it and shorted everything else out?

Latest posts

Back