1963 ford pos or neg ground?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brchopper

I just brought home a '63 f250 without a battery in it. The battery cables are fairly new in the truck but the color coating seems backward to me. The red cable goes directly to the starter. The black goes to the solinoid on the firewall then to the starter. it does turn over with a battery hooked up with the colors of the cables but I am still questioning if the red is pos or not? the red cable that goes directly to the starter is attacted at the front of the starter.the black that connects to the starter is towards the back and has a more outgoing connection(like I would think the possitive would have)? thanks for any thoughts.

1963 should be 12 volt negative ground. The cable have probably been changed a dozen times since 1963.

Should run the Positive from battery to solinoid, another cable from the solinoid to the starter and a ground from the battery to the engine and frame.

The wire on the right is from the battery and the wire on the left goes to the starter.
014-1.jpg

Thanks for the reply. looks like my colors were backwards and they grounded it to the starter instead of the frame.

Dmw called it correctlyl, negative ground. About the negative going to the starter body, that is actually a better way to do it, more juice right there for cranking. Just make sure there is a ground strap going from the engine or transmission to the frame, and smaller straps going from the frame to the body. That way you will have a completely grounded setup with no room for bad grounds.

Don

Latest posts

Back