GPS

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob w

Still crazy after all these years!
Has anyone used a GPS unit as a speedometer? Instead of a speedometer? Accurate enough? Inquiring minds want to know...

Bob,
They're very accurate! They were originally made for boats. Maybe Don has some input! They're usually pricey & require a $60-$80 GPS sending unit.

BoB

gps wqorks 4 me

ive been using a garmin gps for a speedometer on the big truck i drive all over the usa its to the money in my book the speedometer on the truck is off 3 mph and been allover i got a older one i use in my rat rod i like the garmin the best You can pick a older one on ebay the only thing with the older ones the maps will be out of date--- so what --is what i say works good for a speedometer that my 2 cents

Im using a tom-tom for my speedometer until I get my gauges all worked out. Not sure how accurate it is but it sure beats guessing and I never get lost.LOL

Recalibrating!!!!!

TURN LEFT NOW!!!!
Seriously, we have GPS built into our video camera units that give the coordinates and the speed of our patrol units and it's downloaded with the videos so it's recorded / documented as well.... matter of fact I have the cameras set to go on automatically at 80mph even without the lights or such being activated.... :D

I use a GPS in the hot rod all the time. The same GPS in our truck reads the same MPH as the trucks speedo. It is a Garmin also.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Is there a particular model of Garmin I should look for? I don't care much about the driving directions. I don't go anywhere anyhow. Just don't want to exceed the speed limit.

nuvi

i have 2 garmin nuvi ones got a big screen ones small i use the small one in my big truck 3 yr now been good to me had a tom tom one day it blu up went the next day got the nuvi that what i would use --------------size and $$

I have a Nuvi, and use it for my speedo, has an odometer in it too, never had any problems in the 2 years I've been using it. It also will change from MPH or KM's to,
\Brian

I agree

I noticed that my Garmin is more accurate at higher speeds than my
factory installed on my Tacoma (daily driver). There is at least a
4-5 mph difference at highway speeds.

Latest posts

Back