Big Kids Big Wheel

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something I started awhile back. was given a 85 yz110 wrecked hamboned bike with a good motor.

Attachments

• DSC00955.JPG
    DSC00955.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC00954.JPG
    DSC00954.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC00953.JPG
    DSC00953.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 36
Sounds like a deal:D I think the looks of the Suzuki along with the trike rear would be nice looking.

Well, knowing me, this simple, easy, quick build will likely turn into some long term, custome tubed, smooth welds, powder coated piece of work once it's all done :)
The first Suzuki had an initial goal to make the ugliest rat bike in town. I seemed to have missed the mark on that one :)
But like I said, the goal is quick and easy On this one. :D

jmlcolorado; The first Suzuki had an initial goal to make the ugliest rat bike in town. I seemed to have missed the mark on that one :) :D[/QUOTE said:
yeah I think you did miss the mark a bit. Looks like you over shot the whole target :D cuz that bike looks awesome. [cl

yeah I think you did miss the mark a bit. Looks like you over shot the whole target :D cuz that bike looks awesome. [cl

I gotta give that bike tremendous amounts of credit! If it weren't for it, I wouldn't have gotten into this awesome hobby! That bike was my first build and I really had no clue what I was doing. It forced me to buy all kinds of fun tools, and learn new things. It's been quite the adventure.
Now, here I am 3 years later with a RPU project, a trike project, and 4 other bikes around, 2 of which are projects for friends.
Been a long road, but the future is bright :)

Here are some flash back photos of the bike the night I got it. (I almost miss the days I could see all the walls and the floor of the garage :), now I can't see any of that with all the parts laying around :) )
IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

And here is one where I was at the turning point at this point, I seriously was gonna slap on some new rubber, tighten up the exhaust and run with it. Next day I woke up with a whole other plan. .

IMG_0498.jpg

We're getting off topic here :rolleyes:

Well it turned out great.

A little off topic but we are not at the cats stage yet. :D

Guess your another late nghter.

Well I guess it's not 1:30 there

I pick up another stick of 1" last Friday so I could work on it this week but now I'm on the hunt for a quad rear end :D

You should keep us posted! I'm suddenly quite intrigued with these 3 wheeled monsters now :)

In denver we have a motorcycle junk yard. Guy that runs it is pretty cool as long as your not a moron about things and cut up a solid wiring harness to get a regulator with its connector or something.
I've found a ton on flee bay with reasonable prices. Though I wasn't looking for anything in particular, as long as it has a sprocket of some sort, a brake and both axles, Im set.

I'm headed to the bike yard this afternoon to see what he has in the back.

Okay, you guys aren't allowed to poke fun at the sad state of my garage.......seriously :/ I'm almost embarrassed to show it.

Went to the scrap yard today, found an axle out of a 400 Honda 3 wheeler. Drum brake, and surprisingly, the exact same sprocket as the 350 :D AND the sprocket location, relative to left and right on the axle, matches the location on the bike!!!
SO, now I have a rear end. Bought some wheel adapters to change the 4 on 130 bolt pattern of the rear to the more standard 4 on 4 used on golf carts.
This way I can buy DOT street tires and be a little more legal in that aspect.

Looking at using 10" wheels 8" wide and about 19" tall. There will be enough sidewall to keep the hard tail ride at least a little softened.

I'm going to drop the frame to about 4" from the ground.
I pushed up the front forks to see what it looks like. Not bad. If I could get them shortened 4" easily, I would run with it. Rather I think I'll add a little rake. As long as the trail is reasonable, a chopped neck it will get. Trikes aren't quite as temperamental to weird trail angles as 2 wheelers are.

Still trying to figure out what carbs these are do I can rebuild them.
Here's some photos.

photo-2053.jpg

photo-1506.jpg

photo-1920.jpg

photo-2370.jpg

photo-1293.jpg

Just guessing on the total wheel/tire height of ~20", centerline of the axle shoud be right around the 10" mark. These are more realistic.

photo-657.jpg

photo-2246.jpg

Last edited:
shoot me a closer pic of the carbs. Once I see them, I'll point you in the right direction for parts...but only if you really need it(which I doubt) :D

Keep the rear tires relatively low inflation wise. It'll help soften the ride.

I used to work on quads and such, and most people over inflated their tires. Normal operating pressure is 4psi.

shoot me a closer pic of the carbs. Once I see them, I'll point you in the right direction for parts...but only if you really need it(which I doubt) :D

Keep the rear tires relatively low inflation wise. It'll help soften the ride.

I used to work on quads and such, and most people over inflated their tires. Normal operating pressure is 4psi.
I'm planning on using DOT street golf cart wheels on it, so it won't be quite as soft as the ballon tires that came in it :)

Here's the carbs. It seems this bike was built from 68-71. 68 being a sl350 K0, a 69 and 70 a K1 and my 71 is a K2. But I keep seeing CV carbs on all these bikes. It seems the engine is idetical to the CB series but the SL's have a smaller carb bore and intake bore in the heads fr better air velocity.

As you can see from the phots, the carbs need serious work :)

photo-1965.jpg

photo-2390.jpg

photo-2321.jpg

Thanks for the assistance :)

Picked up some tires and wheels for a song, since I only needed two, and the golf cart places have a hard time selling a short set.
Some Powdercoat and these should look okay :D

photo-1465.jpg

Adapters are in the mail. Once they are here, I can start twisting up some DOM and get this thing into a roller. Once it's a roller, then it's off to rebuild the carbs and see what it'll take to fire it up.

As usual, this project is supposed to be quick and painless, but the more I think about it in bed at night, the more I want to strip the frame down, break out the powder coat oven and go to town. Fab up some fancy fenders for the rear with integrated LED tails, paint some nice paint job (flat black and silver?), build a custom seat pan with neat stitching, paint and polish up the engine........it never ends :D

Also, got to thinking about gear ratios. The sprocket on the donor rear end matched the bikes sprocket exactly. 40 tooth. So the only thing that changes the gear ratio is the tire height. Now with a slightly smaller tire (6"smaller) this thing won't reach it's top speed of 92 MPh (according to the origonal factory spec) but it'll be in the 70's I bet. And it'll have more low end torque to get there. Would make for a cool commuter for someone in the city.

Latest posts

Back