1978 Hondamatic

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountain

I ran across a 1978 Honda 750A (Hondamatic) that I would like to build a rat bike out of. It has its issues (missing pipes, "fuse box", Throttle cable, seat, ect) but it is a good jump off point. I want to know if anyone has any experiance or history with an autoshift Honda motorcycle. I see it was only produced for 3 years and am kind of weary of anything that was not produced very many years. The guy is asking 800 bones but I think I could talk him down a touch. Thanks for any help and info!

I don't have any photos of it (sorry)

Don't be surprised when you're disappointed with the lack of power compared to a regular CB750.

Parts are becoming scarce too.

I've helped build some honda bikes in the past, and the best honda's to build are generally the twins as far as building something clean looking goes.

If you buy this bike, you'll end up with exactly as such...a total rat.

My .02

This should be about what it looks like yes?
Honda%20CB750%20A-EARA%2077.jpg

would look cooler with a twin, I agree, kinda like this:
girl_with_the-Dragon_tattoo_motorcycle4.jpg

That's a gnarly looking bike.

Here's one of the only photos I could find of a '80 CM400T that we built for the guy sitting on the bike. He'd never owned or ridden a bike until the day we finished it. This thing was a fun bike to ride, and a loud little guy.

Picture025-1.jpg

Last edited:
I have built some in thew pass. tghe3 electrical is the hardest part because of all the switches and relay. I have electrical diagram if needed.

Let me know what you need

Attached are some picture of my last build. I still have it. Not fast but fun to ride and it does get a lot of looks Also got a trophy at on of the McDonald bike night for metric custom.

Attachments

• honda chopper 001A.JPG
    honda chopper 001A.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 22
  • honda chopper 002A.JPG
    honda chopper 002A.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 14
  • honda chopper 004A.JPG
    honda chopper 004A.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 14
opps forgot picture of rear of bike

Attachments

• honda chopper 014A.jpg
    honda chopper 014A.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 8
  • honda chopper 003A.jpg
    honda chopper 003A.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 7
I built a rat out of a honda 650 4, like hot40 said the electrical is the hardest part. I ran straight pipes and the thing sounded wicked as #%$% it was also a blast to ride-kinda tricky with the hand shift. Like MC said probably won't be as zippy since it's a auto and 800 is a little steep-good luck!

Attachments

• honda rat & bobber 001.jpg
    honda rat & bobber 001.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 13
  • honda rat & bobber 005.jpg
    honda rat & bobber 005.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 10
  • honda rat & bobber 014.jpg
    honda rat & bobber 014.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 13
The one bike I posted si from The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo.
I think its a CL350 Honda? Not sure my memory is serving me properly at the moment...

Love this bike wiht those knobby tires. I might pass on this one though and keep looking for a CB650 or CB750 to put together. I soon as I read that parts are getting ahrd to find that was enough of a red flad, I already have that problem with my international. I am not in any hurry and lord knows I have enough projects keep me busy until I find the right bike. Thanks for the tips.

Latest posts

Back