Anyone start out a rat bike from a dirt bike?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coffee Freak

I've seen some killer deals recently on some dirt bikes in my price range. Anyone start off with a dirt bike for their builds? What limitations do you encounter?

Or, am I better off saving some more coin for a street bike to start with?

I have seen dirt bikes turned into rat street bikes some looked good some did not! It can be done and done well too, depending on your fab skills and knowledge. is this bike for a little fun or a serious rider? If it is a serious rider I would start with a street bike and modify from there. Good luck on this and keep us informed on your build.

I have seen dirt bikes turned into rat street bikes some looked good some did not! It can be done and done well too, depending on your fab skills and knowledge. is this bike for a little fun or a serious rider? If it is a serious rider I would start with a street bike and modify from there. Good luck on this and keep us informed on your build.

Fun only.

Anyone have any pics of a finished product from a dirtbike?

I would just keep my eye out for a bike on craigslist. getting to be that time of year when they come up for sale cheap. I had $250 in my oldwing when I first heard it run. Then started screwing with it from there.

Always wanted to lower a dirt bike in the back and convert it to street tires.
Even built a model to see how it would work. I still think it would be killer.
Problem is there are no cheap dirt bikes in this part of the world.

A good question is what's your budget? I agree with Neverdone, a couple years ago I bought an early 80's Honda 900c that was complete with title for $75 and just threw a new battery in it and cleaned the carbs with fresh fuel, it fired right up.

Around here old road bikes go for much cheaper then a good dirt bike. That's just my 2 cents.

A good question is what's your budget? I agree with Neverdone, a couple years ago I bought an early 80's Honda 900c that was complete with title for $75 and just threw a new battery in it and cleaned the carbs with fresh fuel, it fired right up.

Around here old road bikes go for much cheaper then a good dirt bike. That's just my 2 cents.

Budget is rough for me. I have no job (stay at home dad), so I scrape by on cheap or throw-away parts for my current project. So far I have been able to horse-trade for a lot of stuff on my project, but I'm kind of at am impasse until I save up for some brackets for the front end.

My latest score, which is still at a buddy's garage, is a 1955 Chevy inline 6 that I bought for $75.

Having done this, I would say hold out for a cheap titled road bike. Small 70's/80's Enduro's are the ticket. Plus if it turns out there is always the chance of selling it.

Latest posts

Back