Bits and pieces, Leslie's car.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One side always looks better then the other side on my projects as well.:eek: :D
I always think about what Von Dutch said to a customer that complained that his pin strip job looked different on one side from the other. "You can only see one side at a time." [ddd
Looking good.[cl
[P [P
Torchie

We haven't done anything major, or minor, to the body lately. Have had a lot of uos and downs in life this summer. This will be a lot slower of a build than the last 2. Hopefully this next month we can get beating on it some more. It's almost ready to graft onto the essex.

Again, nothing major to post but figured I needed to let everyone know we're still alive. Was going to move copper out of the garage this morning but by the time I woke up and got going it was way too hot. It's been poking around the mid to high 90s lately and with the fires surrounding Montana the wind feels like a blast furnace so there has been no welding to be had at home. I did however get in contact with a gent who has a ford 292 that ran well when pulled from a 59 f-series with a auto behind it so looks like I won't need to source a c4 for her car. Price is good also at $350 for the setup. May have to put a mild cam in her to make her burn rubber but we'll see what happens. If and when the weather cools down I'll pull copper out of the garage and slide the essex in for surgery. As the coupe quarters are mostly done, we'll be able to butt everything together and see how she needs to be cut.

Slicing and dicing has begun.

So, finally was up early enough this morning, seeing as I got a bit of ot in last night, and didn't have anything else going on and because this afternoon's supposed to be a scorcher, decided it was time. Rolled the 33 out of the garage and parked it next door, used a couple of old skate boards as body movers, moved what was left of the A so I could park the 33 next to the garage, and parked the 33. Started cutting the Essex to accept the A quarters and shoved her together to see how they fit. Going to have to raise the coupe quarters up about an inch to get the belt lines and corners to match. So all in all, a good start to this crazy idea of mine. I think the Ol' Lady is gonna be a bit worried when she comes out to see but she was supportive when I brought home the 31 in all its pieces so she has faith that we can pull it off. So yeah, heres some progress, finally!

Attachments

• IMG_1654.jpg
    IMG_1654.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1655.jpg
    IMG_1655.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1656.jpg
    IMG_1656.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1657.jpg
    IMG_1657.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1658.jpg
    IMG_1658.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1659.jpg
    IMG_1659.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1661.jpg
    IMG_1661.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1662.jpg
    IMG_1662.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1653.jpg
    IMG_1653.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 62
Oh yeah, she'll be an interesting mix of makes. But hey, at least there's little to no wood to replace. Took the lady out to the shop to see her and she's super excited now. I think she can finally see what I've been imagining. Tomorrow(or today for you day walkers) we'll see if we can't trim up the rear to match the front, and get everything tacked into place before it gets too warm. Keep a close eye on this one because before you know it, it'll no longer resemble a sedan and we'll be on to tackling the frame. We still haven't decided fully on the rear suspension but I'm really leaning towards quarter elipticals just due to their simplicity.

Got the rear of the Essex cut the rest of the way. Test fit the quarters to the essex, cut some more, test fit, cut some more, so on and so forth until it fit well enough to weld. Then, to get the corners of the essex to match up to the quarters I cut the rear window panel out and sucked it up with a ratchet strap on the bottom of the corner pieces. Need to cut 11/16" out of both sides before I can weld it in tomorrow but was way too hot by 10am and was needing some sleep. So tomorrow I'll weld the window panel back in and start focusing on the front of the essex.

Attachments

• IMG_1665.jpg
    IMG_1665.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1673.jpg
    IMG_1673.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1672.jpg
    IMG_1672.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1671.jpg
    IMG_1671.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1670.jpg
    IMG_1670.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1668.jpg
    IMG_1668.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1667.jpg
    IMG_1667.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1666.jpg
    IMG_1666.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1664.jpg
    IMG_1664.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1663.jpg
    IMG_1663.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 54
Yeah Dozer, it's been a PITA getting everything to line up close enough.

Didn't get as much accomplished today as I was hoping. By 10am it was already getting too hot to weld much more so all that got done was the rear window panel. But it's back in place and welded. Just got to grind the welds down to where it's all smoothed out.

Attachments

• IMG_1678.jpg
    IMG_1678.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1677.jpg
    IMG_1677.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1676.jpg
    IMG_1676.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 52
Be sure to show the guy you got that Model A body from what you did with it. I am sure he musta' figured you were crazy to buy it. You have a way with this stuff, for sure. [;) [P

Latest posts

Back