Hi Everyone!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Ya got a project yer working on?

I don't exactly have a rat rod, but I have a homemade tractor my grandfather built mostly out of automotive parts from the 50s/60s. I've been semi-restoring it and have found helpful tips and interesting discussion on this forum. I have a question or two I wouldn't mind asking so I figured it was about time I came out of the shadows and joined. :)

Thanks again, everyone :) Here are some pics of the tractor.

tractorSM-01.jpg

tractorSM-02.jpg

tractorSM-03.jpg

tractorSM-04.jpg

My grandfather built it in the early '80s. If anyone is interested, here is a quick rundown of the main components.

Power Unit Continental IY-69 (i4, 69in) from an engine driven welder. Hood/grille would have come with it.

Transmission/Rear Axle 3 speed from a 50s Mercury airport luggage tug. (Not the same Mercury as the Ford division.)

Steering Steering wheel and gearbox from an early 60s Ford pickup.

Wheels Front from a Mini, not sure what the rear hubs are from. It has hub caps from a '55 New Yorker, though.

Frame/Fenders Homemade.

Last edited:
Really cool. Front sheet metal looks like international. Any idea what the front axle is from?

I've been told the front axle "looks International" but I don't know for sure.

And yes, the sheet metal does look International, almost identical to the Farmall A except with a mesh grille. I've read power unit shrouds of that era were often styled after tractors.

Mind if I chime in???
Grille, hood and radiator are IH Farmall Model A with the horizontal grille pieces cut out and perforated installed.
As far as the rest, your guess is as good as mine :)

Farmall%20Model%20A.jpg

Latest posts

Back