Odd suspension setup.. Will it work?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vintageT

Banned
Sorry I don't have any pictures, but I am in a quandary. I have a frame made for a t bucket, but I have a line on a model a tudor sedan. I was planning on a stock 37 ford transverse rear spring, mounted as normal behind the rear end. With this setup I would be at around 103" for wheelbase. Could I mount the spring in front of the rear axle to extend my wheelbase in order to use the A body? Or should I limit myself to just a spring over setup? I can't afford a new frame, and spring in front of axle would be my cheapest option. Spring over I would have to buy some mounts. Or should I just break down and buy some steel and pay for someone to weld extensions on the frame?

what is the currant frame made of? if it is tubing you could extend it with sleeves inside the tubes or plates on the outside or both but you shouldn't just but it together.

It's been done. On early Ford rear ends guys would switch the axle housings from side to side to get the spring mounts forward of the axle.

Lots of coil spring suspensions have the springs in front of the rear end.

what is the currant frame made of? if it is tubing you could extend it with sleeves inside the tubes or plates on the outside or both but you shouldn't just but it together.
It is a 2x3 tube frame from MAS that I have had a while. Wouldn't think of doing a butt joint on it!

My thoughts for the best bet...

It's been done. On early Ford rear ends guys would switch the axle housings from side to side to get the spring mounts forward of the axle.

Lots of coil spring suspensions have the springs in front of the rear end.
That would get me the approximate foot I need with the least amount of work. I have some speedway spring mount flanges, I could just have them welded off the front of the rear end instead of behind...

Bear in mind that you'll be altering the effective leverage of the axle wishbone/swing arms by moving the spring closer to the swing arm pivot while the axle stays the same difference from it, and may need a slightly heavier spring or a helper spring/rubber bag or something, since the A body will also be a bit or even e lot heavier than the T the frame and spring were designed for. These may be added later, but it may help you to consider your options at this time.

I'm having a lot of fun today getting a '64 Corvette independent rear axle adjusted for the slammed '27 glass T I'm building, starting with speedway's 27 T kit. I had to remove 3 out of six leaves, and still it's too stiff, with me and 200 lbs of barbells jumping up and down on it. I may have to re-arch the leaves and take another out. The Corvette was around 3500 lbs and this car will be half that. I'm enjoying the experience.

The problem with digging up old posts, if the answer is not already there chances are the OP is dead and gone.

Latest posts

Back