Horsepower wars

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05snopro440

Anyone heard of the new 2015 Challenger Hellcat?

Supercharged 6.2L Hemi with 707 HP, NHRA certified 10.8 @ 126MPH on street legal drag radials and 11.2 @ 125 MPH on stock tires.

Here's a cheesy Dodge marketing video with the Ass Monkey: Challenger Hellcat.

What's amazing to me is that these cars can make this much power and be daily drive-able, idle well, etc. It's not that long ago that this much power meant it was a nuisance to drive on the street, especially with a supercharger.

What's amazing to me is that these cars can make this much power and be daily drive-able, idle well, etc. It's not that long ago that this much power meant it was a nuisance to drive on the street, especially with a supercharger.

Computers make the difference. Back in the day you could never drive a car with that much HP on the streets! Now it's no big deal!

BoB

Computers make the difference. Back in the day you could never drive a car with that much HP on the streets! Now it's no big deal!

BoB

Yep, it makes a world of difference. Even the fact that you can have different keys with different horsepower levels now, like the Boss 302 and their track key, is amazing.

I am not a fan of new cars generally, but Chrysler got it right IMO with the Challenger. Looks great and is so much like the original. That Hellcat should be a beast. Anytime you can get a production car that runs in the 10's or 11's it is really something.

Don

Guessing it will be in the 60k+ price range.... Love the car, just wish I could afford one!

I'm thinking that in Canada it will be around 80-100k. But it basically needs no modifications.

I ran into a guy the other day who has a 2013 Camaro SS convertible, which is in the $60K plus range up here. Then he had a 770hp conversion done to it which is $24k+ where he had it done. Then he has all the Hotchkiss suspension, ZL1 rear end to handle the power, etc. Plus he's having fueling issues so it needs to go back for some not so cheap tuning. So for what I'm assuming will be the same or less money with a warranty and engineered to handle the power, I think the Hellcat will be worth it.

This is from the link I posted below:
Estimated Arrival and Price: Our latest intel has the 2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat arriving in the third quarter of 2014 as 2015 model. Pricing is up in the air, but with the current Challenger SRT8 ringing in with an MSRP just south of $47,000, you can bet the Hellcat will be north of the $50K mark.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2015-dodge-challenger-hellcat-spy-photos-news

My dealer here thinks they'll be very, very limited with the dealer markup making them cost about 90 thousand or so. Sounds like an awful lot of money for a Dodge.....

So maybe now the fat pig can beat a Mustang or Camaro?

Really? the SRT-8 is around 4,100lb. Camaro SS is liested at just over 3,900lb... The GT500 Mustang is just under 3,900lb... The Challenger is not a pony car by any means, it falls squarely under the muscle car bracket... so in my opinion, the camaro and the mustang both of which are pony cars are the portly ones..[S[S[S

BoB

That's the truth! Big giant horsepower motors and skinny little 7" tires...smoke em all the way down the track! :eek

You know Bob, we're both showing our age here!:D

Latest posts

Back