Advice on a 5.3

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ref772

I've got a 5.3 engine & 4L60 that only has 60K miles on it, but has been sitting in the shop for 4 years. It has been kept clean and sealed up. Since you can't pre oil these engines (I think), what should I do before firing up this project?

I would disconnect the spark plug wires and turn the engine over until I saw the valve train oiling up. I'd also pour more oil on the rockers just for good measure.

Toad

You might find this interesting...

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/additional-how-to/ccrp-0906-budget-pressure-luber-build/

... I'd "redneck it down" a little since I don't own a magazine or have Russell and Summit as paying sponsors. :D

Yeah, that's a cool setup, but they over-engineered the heck out of it.

Photo 10 of 13 | We drilled a common 12mm coarse thread bolt with a 5/16-inch drill bit and tapped the hole with 1/8-inch pipe threads to use an Earls 188 pipe to -6 male AN fitting to return oil to the reservoir. We also could have used a rubber hose and some brass fittings that would have been less expensive, but it wouldnt have looked as cool.

By golly, if I'm going to pre-oil my LS in the privacy of my own garage, I want to look cool doing it. :cool:

These motors are very tough. The rockers are all needle bearings so they usually will hold a tad bit of oil in them. The bearings are more aluminum and tin than actual babbit material. Just unplug the main coil connectors in the center of the valve covers and hit the starter for about a minute. repeat 4 times, plug the coils back in and start it up. Just let it idle for about 5 minutes or so to circulate the oil and let it warm up. You will be fine.

Latest posts

Back