Premixed 2-Stroke Gas

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05snopro440

I got an email flyer from Stihl today, and one of the deals was for their premixed gas. They claim there's no ethanol and it has a shelf life of 2 years when opened and 5 years unopened. It's good for winterizing also, apparently. It's mixed at 50:1.

Then there's the price: $9.95 CAD for 950mL (0.251 gallon), or $33.96 CAD for 4 litres (1.06 gallons). That's some pretty pricey fuel! I think I'll stick to mixing my own!

Wow.:eek:
I can remember when you could but redi-mix (as we called it back then) at many gas stations and all Marina's.
With the new outboards all being made to use oild injection systems I guess that is just one more thing from youth that is dissapearing.
For that price it better be racing fuel.......[ddd
Torchie

I use it in my small engines that sit a lot. If I use pump gas the ethanol in it draws enough moisture to screw up the carbs. If I'm doing a lot of chainsaw work I mix my own and when I'm done I try to finish up with the premix before I store the saw.

I use it in my small engines that sit a lot. If I use pump gas the ethanol in it draws enough moisture to screw up the carbs. If I'm doing a lot of chainsaw work I mix my own and when I'm done I try to finish up with the premix before I store the saw.

For all the chainsaw work I do, I bought an electric chain saw at a garage sale for 10 bux...........

Same with that antifreeze that is 50/50. You pay just as much per gallon and get 50% water ![S Yep, more convenient, but really ??????

Ok, I'll admit there have been times I bought it, but I get lazy too. :eek::eek::eek:

Don

On the anti freeze topic. I have a lot of minerals in my well water and it adds to the corosion problems in cooling systems. In a diesle if you mix tap water with antifreeze it will eat cylinder liners in no time. If I can't get 50/50 mix I use distilled water to mix it.

50/50 antifreeze is good to top off with, but for a full fill, I buy 100% antifreeze, then put in a gallon of it, then a gallon of water, alternating until it gets full.

Yep, I go to the grocery store and get gallons of distilled water for about $.80 a gallon. I guess that is why convenience stores stay in business though, we get lazy and realize we are overpaying for something, but we do it anyway.

I bet the guy who sat at the antifreeze company meeting and said "Hey, I have an idea, " How about we water down the antifreeze by 50% and sell it as READY TO POUR IN ????" met with a few chuckles from the other guys. But it worked and people buy it.

Same with the guy who first said "How about we bottle WATER and sell it?" His coworkers must have thought he was nuts ! Who would pay for water when you can get it right out of the tap ????? :D:D:D

Don

Again , Back to the too many minerals in the well water.My well water has so much floiride in it that it is toxic for children. Untill they were in thier teens they drank bottled water.

if you look at a manual for a caterpillar engine it says to use distilled water, not that I've done it much

this canned gas BS is the biggest rip-off yet.

anybody buying it deserves to get shafted, $9.00 a quart is way out of line, but marketing has so many people f-----ed in the head it's unreal.

years ago we had one 10w40 oil on the shelf in our shop, now you have to have 20 varieties of the sh!t cause people have been hood-winked into thinking you have to have purpose-built every thing, some guy won't buy it if it doesn't say "4x4", another wants "euro design", or "1971 Impala 400-2bbl" specifically. they are all nuts!!!!

I buy gas in a 2 gallon can and add a couple of ounces of StaBil (sic?) to it and use it in my lawn mower and snow blower, been doing this for twenty years and have never had a problem with gas "spoiling". gas doesn't "spoil", make sure the gas can caps are sealed tight. If the can the gas is stored in is left vented to the atmosphere, the light aromatics will evaporate and the gas will perform poorly at low rpm and will make the engine hard to start.

the light aromatics in gas evaporate in temps as low as -50f, so cars can start.

RANT OVER

Peace, love, and Happy Motoring!

Some of these companies are saying they will void the warranties if this expansive stuff is not used. ie. gas/oil mix, 5W-20 oil, premix coolant, etc. They got ya' coming & going.

Latest posts

Back