Tranverse spring on rearend

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneeye

I am hoping to fabricate a Model A spring onto a Ford Ranger rear end this weekend for the '22 Dodge roadster that I am working on. I will be mounting it to the top of the axle, I think. I am wondering in what position I want the shackles to be with no weight on the spring. I have found that information for the a front set up but not the back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You should measure the mounting distance on a stock Model A. You will find that you have to spread the spring quire a bit when installing it. In fact, there is so much tension (dangerous) that special tools are made just for that purpose.

cool...

im doing a 23 coupe, on a model a frame, surfing the net I found this pic dimensionally of an A ..

Attachments

• AFrame-B[1].jpg
    AFrame-B[1].jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 31
Got it Bob. My research tells me that Ford put tension on that spring to eliminate a panhard bar. Still trying to sort out what to do there.

23crate, that is some detail!

Yeah I snagged that diagram of the A-frame with intentions of putting it in the "Diagrams" thread, but I'm glad Crate entered it. I've been trying to find the drawing of a homemade device somebody posted that I also copied to file somewhere in my notes. Bob is right. Be careful on that spring pressure. there's quite some danger if it lets go under pressure.

Latest posts

Back