TBT... Throwback Thursday!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the 46 chevy I learned to drive on. It started out as my great grand father's and was well worn when my dad got got it to use for fire wood and hay.

Not a rat, but definitely from my past, circa 1978, Boston, MA - and the identical, but not same car full resto in 2012 in CA.

Attachments

• 1980914stamp.jpg
    1980914stamp.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG00011.jpg
    IMG00011.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 19
Here's a throwback pic from forty years ago that I didn't know existed until the other day. There's a local guy whose father in-law was the photographer for the local newspaper from the late '50s through the 1980's and he posts old photos from his father in-law's collection on Facebook from time to time....this is one of them....

...that's me hauling the Y-Teens (YMCA kids group) through the Christmas parade in our little town in my '71 GMC pickup. I was a junior in high school and owned a four year old pickup....forty years later I'm driving a 20 year old van. [S Where did I go wrong? :eek:

This is as far back as i can throw it. Bout 12 years ago. My junior year of high school. My buddy is the one in the bug. He started racing that and now has a 10 second all vw powered bug. My car is a 68 ford fairlane 500. Not my ideal car but i loved it anyway. We painted it, built a healthy 289 ford and a strong c-4 trans. Had a disc break 9 " out back. Im the goofy one hangin on the door of the bug. The lucky girl in the pic was ny high school sweet heart who is now my loving wife

This is my 50 bout 16 years ago, when my dad and i started it

And now

I heard the car was sold and has been rebuilt.

This is true. Rich bought a donor car and a new cage... then decided to throw the towel.

He sold the motor to some jackass here in Regina. (I know this 'cuz I was riding shotgun and met the person.)
The remaining "do-it-yourself kit" also came back to this part of SK. Rich picked me up (again) and we delivered the mess to a guy whose brain received proper blood and oxygen. :D

We became friends with the new owner. A couple other friends did the chassis/cage refurb and I did some fab work as well. I don't know who did the bodywork or who painted the car... whoever it was did a third rate job (at a first rate price) which leaves something to be desired but it's presentable.

The big lump hides a tunnel-rammed big block and I believe it's turning low 10's again. He has run at Gimli (once for sure) I guess you missed it!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Rich 56 Geo.jpg
    Rich 56 Geo.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
When I first read the post I thought Richie met his demise in the car. What a relief to find out that wasn't the case.
Do you know what caused the car to turn turtle?

Sorry, Bob. (I should choose my words more carefully!)

I wasn't there and sc can correct me if I have the story wrong...

Top end was compromised by dirt and dust, apparently supplied by shifting wind and a nearby motocross event. Rich said everything was fine until he entered the traps... as a habit, he noticed his RPM, saw it break loose and knew he was in trouble... slid one way, then the other, turned on its roof and stayed there while it spun circles and slid however far 150 MPH will carry a shiny inverted vessel.

Rich (as you now know) was fine but more than upset. He learned other drivers had experienced some greasiness but said nothing to fellow competitors or track staff. Sad but true.

Yeah, you got it right Doc. First and only time they ever held a motocross and drag race on the same day.

I guess you go back farther with Rich than I do .. I've only known him for about 15 years now but we don't always hang in the same circles although he's still very active in the Drag Racer's Association of Manitoba (DRAM) of which I was one of the founding members and the first VP back in the early 90's.

Thanks for keeping it straight sc. ( My memory and my mouth don't always agree!)

Yeah, I've known Rich nearly 25 years. (He lived here then, of course.) Many, many good times and always involved with SDRA/SIR until he moved back to Winnipeg.

I have been to many racetracks but never Gimli. (Though I understand it's the perfect place to land a crippled commercial jet, I'd prefer to visit on my own terms.) Anyhow, I'd be pleased to see you both there, someday...

Who did the art work??

Never had a kit car but that's funny...Come to think of it...never had anything come in a crate either....and what you did buy...you didn't get any directions on how to install it either....lol..:D

Never had a kit car but that's funny...Come to think of it...never had anything come in a crate either....and what you did buy...you didn't get any directions on how to install it either....lol..:D

a long block came on a pallet once
does that count?

Latest posts

Back