I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2009_0517trk0002.jpg

I rebuilt a couple Holley 1bbls and tried to start the digger. It would only fire on 2 cylinders. After trying everything I could think of, finally figured out that the intake/exhaust studs are designed for 1/2" thick manifold ears not a 5/16" header flange plate. Washers were added to fill the gap so the manifold would pull up tight to the head. Still it ran like junk, hitting on 4 cylinders. As you can see by the feeler gauge, the flange plate is a bit wavy creating serious vacuum leaks. I'll be ordering a special thick compressable gasket from Australia and also a Remflex gasket, both are supposed to solve this problem. Oh, and the carbs leak too. Not good for this old man's confidence.

Last edited:
Mine weren't done properly when the previous owners stuck a set of headers on my val:

21791710034_large.jpg

It's a wonder none of those snapped off when i built up the low side with some washers.

Last edited:
I've been wondering how you were coming with this build Bob. WOW, it looks great! :D I love the headers and intake setup. That thing is going to be more fun to run than a funny car. :)

We want YouTube when you take her out.

Don

2009_0603trk0019.jpg

Racer 135, Wow that's a thick header plate!
Thanks for all the supportive comments guys. That's what makes RRR the best hot rod site anywhere.
I fixed the "consrtuction errors" on the intake manifold and the engine runs very nice. Didn't even rejet and the idle mixture screws are out the normal 1 1/2 turns. I got a pair of '35 Ford front wheels from one of my Wed. lunch buddies. The motorcycle tires were free from the "take off" pile behind a bike shop. Keeping to the old school tradition I mounted 'em up with tire irons and a little cussing.

2009_0603trk0005.jpg

Went to the junkyard and took a couple 15" by 6" rims off a '67 T-Bird. The tires are G78's and have a 6" wide tread which is the max. for HAMB dragsters. They were on my neighbor's '64 Chevy truck. He gave them to me when he went with radials. Love that free stuff!

2009_0603trk0011.jpg

The full width rear end is typical for the early to mid 50's. The extensive roll cage, tail light, cut off switch and battery box are present day NHRA requirements.

2009_0603trk0015.jpg

I've shown some of Kathy Weeks' sign painting on RRR before. We have picked a name and artwork for the car. She will hand paint all the lettering, just like the old days. I sanded all the aluminum with a DA and 120 paper to create a matte finish and hide the scratches, some of which were too deep to polish out.
All I need to do is put in trans fluid and coolant and I can try some blasts up the driveway.
Gastrick, the tires have only a few miles on them and there is no evidence of sidewall cracking. Just hope there's some "bite" left in the rubber.

2009_0603trk0018.jpg

A poor pic, but this is the driver's view. The butterfly steering wheel is visible as is the wind deflector and very crooked shift handle. The hand brake is to the right and the "mini Moon" gas pedal can be seen. I need $700 in safety equipment to run this thing legally. I plan on calling the tech guy for a 1/8 mile track near here and see if he'll let me run some controlled test runs without the full fire suit, etc. at a Test and Tune day.
The next time I post it will be either black streaks in the driveway, a pile of broken driveline parts or the lettering on the car. My grandson says he knows how to do video and post it. So there could even be an action shot. Fire burnouts didn't occur until the 70's, right?:D

Bob W. that thing came together so quick. and it looks really cool. I cant wait to see a video of this thing burning up the driveway. Hopefully the local track will let you tune it before you have to drop a bunch of cash into safety equipment.

She looks great Bob. All the bugs will get worked out with a little time. It'll be fun to see it in motion. Gastrick's right about the gas pedal too. It looks exactly like a small sasquatch footprint casting!

Thunder

I picked a name for my "Racing Team" & a name for the car. My friend Kathy Weeks is now hand lettering the body panels. They could be done this week, unless she gets some jobs from real customers.:D
It's been raining for a few days so I haven't tried any driveway drags yet. Maybe tomorrow.;)
Ya know, I might have a little sasquach blood in me and that's why I made the gas pedal that way.:eek:

2009_0623trk0011.jpg

Got the lettered panels back & I sure like them! Kathy Weeks did a great job hand lettering them.:)
I picked the "Lone Ranger Racing Team" because I work alone almost all the time. Apparently I don't work well with others.:rolleyes: Truth is, I jealously guard all the work because I enjoy doing it so much.:D The only work that is farmed out is what I can't do for myself.

2009_0623trk0015.jpg

Continuing with the "Lone Ranger" theme, the car is named "Silver Bullet" A skeletal "Lone Ranger" is on the side so people will know this has nothing to do with Coors Beer. Also, the raw aluminum panels are silver in color and I hope the thing goes fast, like a bullet. Probably a really slow bullet.:eek: The Lone Ranger has been "skeletalized" just to make it a bit more sinister, or mysterious.:cool:

Latest posts

Back