1950 Wayfarer truck on CL

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_Fear

Brother Rat

Attachments

• 00j0j_gFLKl2ZQS1n_600x450.jpg
    00j0j_gFLKl2ZQS1n_600x450.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 00y0y_mCdxY4WK5l_600x450.jpg
    00y0y_mCdxY4WK5l_600x450.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 98
I'll say, it does look better a pickup than a coupe! Always thought the proportions were out of place on these cars.

Very well done indeed.
It almost looks like a conversion setup. There were company's that made these to convert your car to a pickup truck going back as far as the 20's.
During WW2 many an old coupe was converted for many reasons not the least of which was Gas rationing coupons. Service/commercial vehicles had a higher gas allotment than personal use vehicles.

I have always thought that this style of car would look great as a 2 seat roadster with a removable Carson style top.
Torchie.

It could have been a "flower" car for the funeral home. Maybe a cheaper one than the Cadillacs or Lincolns... I now know what I should do with me 54 chevy coupe now hacked convertible body![cl

Most of us like something a little different... and that's different alright. :D

I don't know about Chryco, but GM offered a "coupe pickup" during the depression and war years (like Torchie said) from the factory. I got into a heated discussion on another forum (three guesses) and gave certain evidence...

3710.jpg

http://home.znet.com/p1937/Ute.htm

... anyhow, I'm only trying to say, it's possible the Wayfarer was factory built but whatever the case, I'd be curious to know the facts and history of the car.

Most of us like something a little different... and that's different alright. :D

I don't know about Chryco, but GM offered a "coupe pickup" during the depression and war years (like Torchie said) from the factory. I got into a heated discussion on another forum (three guesses) and gave certain evidence...

3710.jpg

... anyhow, I'm only trying to say, it's possible the Wayfarer was factory built but whatever the case, I'd be curious to know the facts and history of the car.

Exactly good Dr. Plus I believe that there were some after market conversions available as well.

It's a pretty smooth job if it's homebuilt!

Agreed smallfoot. Most of the home built ones that I have seen are usually crudely built at best. Plus the fact that it's a Dodge tailgate....Very interesting.
Torchie.

When I first saw the heading I thought that it may have been one of these. Australian Ute.

But I found a thread about them like the one shown in the CL ad on a Mopar site. Claims that they were factory made hence the Dodge tailgate. Couldn't link the thread though.
Torchie.

Attachments

• 220px-Dodge_Coupe_Utility.jpg
    220px-Dodge_Coupe_Utility.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 38
A rich guy in Klamath Falls, OR had a 37-ish Cheby coupe with this set-up. Very cool car. Bone stock restoration. He was like that. He has warehouses full of old and not so old cars.

An old timer told me that people converted cars like this to haul farm goods during a boom in that industry. Farmers couldn't keep up with demand so people would get paid to haul for them. Sounded believable

Very well done indeed.
It almost looks like a conversion setup. There were company's that made these to convert your car to a pickup truck going back as far as the 20's.
During WW2 many an old coupe was converted for many reasons not the least of which was Gas rationing coupons. Service/commercial vehicles had a higher gas allotment than personal use vehicles.

I have always thought that this style of car would look great as a 2 seat roadster with a removable Carson style top.
Torchie.

An old timer told me that people converted cars like this to haul farm goods during a boom in that industry. Farmers couldn't keep up with demand so people would get paid to haul for them. Sounded believable

Being that this Dodge is newer could be for different reasons, but to sum up what Torchie and Dr. Crank said above and add what I know about factory coupe pickups, here is what I've heard:

During the war years, most truck production was sent to the war, so there weren't many pickups available for domestic/commercial use, causing people to have cars converted. Also, as Torchie said, gas rationing allowed for more fuel for commercial/farm vehicles, which the coupe pickups were classified as.

I saw pics in the last couple years of a guy that hot rodded a 37 Chevy coupe pickup. I had always thought it would be cool, it was the first one I had seen done and it was pretty cool. That car is green, I've put some pictures of it and a couple other randoms below.

1936ChevyCoupePickup.jpg

Chevy-Coupe-Pickup-1937-Awtmk.jpg

Africa20111308.jpg

WF.jpg

This has gotten me to thinking about the 54 chevy coupe / chopped into a convertible with the messed up floor. I have a 6' step side bed center I could slid up in the back of the body but I would bring it right up over where the rear seat was. Then have a convertible 54 El Camino parts hauler on the cheap...hummm[cl[;)

This has gotten me to thinking about the 54 chevy coupe / chopped into a convertible with the messed up floor. I have a 6' step side bed center I could slid up in the back of the body but I would bring it right up over where the rear seat was. Then have a convertible 54 El Camino parts hauler on the cheap...hummm[cl[;)

You could make one like the third one I posted above and still have a back seat/interior spot to throw junk?

How about a gasser coupe pickup? [ddd

There would be spots in the floor where the rear seat foot well used to be that you could make compartments behind the seats like an El Camino has for storage. I think the longer bed / 2 door /2 seater configuration is better aesthetically...

Latest posts

Back