'29 Chevy RPU from junk

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Bob
Being a life long Jeep Nut I'm curious...[S What cubic inch motor are you going to end up with building your Jeep stroker?

I love your manifold/carb set up. [cl[cl

Tom, I think the four quickest SDRA dragsters are Jeep powered. Maybe the Four cylinder Chevy II rear engine dragster in there too. The Tulsa track owner is one of them. They all can run way under the index of 11.50.
I've got a few Holleys, 650 and 750 CFM. The 750 worked good on the Ford 6 in the dragster.
The top plate is permanently affixed to the manifold. Here's how it looks with a 2" spacer, a carb and home made scoop.

I seen a group of these guys at the MoKan Spring Hot Rod drags last Sunday and there was one with a read rear engine 4 cylinder. Would that be how you're taking about?
One had a rig that looked just like your Silver Bullet but, the frame wasn't yellow.

attachment.php

Yes OI, the 4 cyl. rear engine dragster is part of SDRA. Very much a pro built car with a Neil and Parks chassis. This is not a criticism, the guys simply know what they are doing.
Most of the SDRA dragsters are akin in their basic design to my car above

Pops, combine the long stroke crankshaft from a 258 (4.2L)engine with the large bore 242 (4.0L) block and a .030 overbore and you get 280 cu. in. If you are interested in more details watch the 16 minute video attached. It is the recipe I'm following. I bought three engines to get all the correct parts to build the "short rod low budget" engine shown in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlHrqhwojf0

Bob, I took a look at the video of the engine build & dyno tests. Very impressive as at 304 HP it was almost double the stock HP. In the dyno test were they using the full P&P head with the bigger valves? They did quite a bit of work on that head. Are you going to P&P your head & put bigger valve in? Sure would make that Crosley move in the 1/8 or 1/4 drags. Keep the pictures & info coming, it's a great motor build.

Tom, that dyno test was run with an almost stock head. A little bowl clean up. Stock valves, springs and rockers. I've seen a dyno test with a fully ported head with oversize LS Chevy valves, etc. and it made about 20 more horsepower. Not very much bang for the money. So I'll do other mods such as zero decking the block, Harlan Sharp roller rockers and lightening the Crosley as much as possible.

Yes Pops, I'm excited about this engine build. Thinking it will make more horsepower than the 300+ cu. in. Ford engine in my dragster. It has more generous ports, larger valves and better shaped combustion chambers.

Thanks Bob, 304 HP with more or less a stock head is fine number. I'm sure your intake will get a little "Home Shop P&P cleanup and the H&S roller rockers will make the valve train run smooth. With the piston shown in the video & the block -0- decked will the CR be around 9.5-9.75? What would you like to get the Crosley weight down to? After seeing the video that intake is way ahead of the ahead of the stock 300 unit in both the runners & chamber shape. Stay safe & keep at it.[;)[cl[cl

Bob, I just read through this entire build , you have me jealous ! You really did a nice job on this little rpu, and quickly too.

Love the headers and dual exhaust.

Tom, PM me address and I'll send it to you. No need to send the Offy manifold to me. Remember, you sent me the lower half of the injection manifold for free. What would be the most economical way to ship?

On the Jeep engine front, I received the pistons and rings and will be taking them to the machine shop Monday. Will determine whether the crank needs to be turned or just polished. Now working on cam specs. I use Oregon Cams and like their reground cams. The price is right and they have a multitude of profiles.

Don, you must've been bored to spend time reading the whole thread. Thanks for doing that.

Thinking back to the Reo build, I had the same front brakes on it as on this car. Used a simple '63 Chevy master cylinder with no problems. So that's what I'm going to order tomorrow.

One of my grandsons is getting married today. The first of my nine grandkids to take the leap. So maybe in a year I'll be a great grandfather. Gotta go clean my fingernails for the wedding.

Bob, Address is in your PM box, Thanks for the deal. I sent injection header Fed X, but you may be able to send it for less USPS Express, I would check with them first, "time is not an issue"

That jeep motor looks like a fun build with lots of OEM parts. Those meteric rings are real pricey but lots of the newer OEM pistons use them. I am glad you are happy with Oregon Cams, I used them on a couple of race motors, nice easy to get along with people. Are you going to use OEM roller lifters or solids?
You never said what you would like to get the Crosley weight down to?[;)[;)[;)
2000 - 2500 would be a great number & you know the driver (you) will have to do his part.;););) Hope your Grandson has a great wedding, Grampa & Gramma will be very proud. :cool:

I Gave Up

Tom, race weight with me in it should be 2,175 lbs. Cam will be hydraulic flat tappet unless Oregon has a suggestion.

Well, the large bore dual master cylinder didn't work for me. It would push fluid but almost no pressure. So, I pulled up a stump and thought about brakes. I realized the Reo I built a while ago had a '40 Plymouth truck front axle with essentially the same brakes as this '38 Dodge wavy axle. It had a '63 Chevy single master cylinder and worked ok. So I trundled off to see Carl at the local auto parts store and got one. After a few modifications to the mount, brake lines and pedal I have brakes. Haven't road tested yet so this might be premature.
The puddle of ATF under the car indicated more work necessary. So I'm messing (a very accurate word) with that before it hits the street.

If I failed again this project will become yard art.

Attachments

• Master cyl 001.jpg
    Master cyl 001.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Bob, 2175 with you at wheel will be a fun ride with that built Jeep 6. With the torque that baby will have you will need a good set of wheelie bars to keep that front end at minimum lift. Going to be lots of fun at those free day drags. ;):cool:

I don't think that Chevy RPU will ever be yard art. :mad:, but if it came to that I would donate my front yard, but I would have to put Dixie's rose pots in the bed to keep her happy.:D

I blew a gasket

Do you suppose, the converter drained back? [S

I had drained the converter, Doc. It was a tired pan gasket and a mistreated pan.

Finally put water in it and backed out of the garage and down the driveway. My longest drive to date. It was low on atf and barely made it back up. Put some in and when I started it the cork gasket between the top plate and the manifold plenum blew. This is the home made manifold with an aluminum top plate with many 1/4" bolts holding it on. I didn't use any type of RTV or other sealant. Will try that next. It was just a little backfire. There she sits. I'm gonna go celebrate Independence Day.

Here's the itty bitty Anglia front axle that is replacing the Magnum tube axle in the itty bitty Crosley. Trying to lighten the Crosley so it will move good with the Jeep stroker 6 cylinder that is gong in it. The Magnum axle with Wilwood brakes will find its way into my Renault, replacing the Mustang II ifs. That will allow the engine/trans to be positioned half a foot further forward allowing a normal size driver to fit in the thing.

Attachments

• gasket 001.jpg
    gasket 001.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 17
  • gasket 002.jpg
    gasket 002.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Back