Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earlier, you were talking about the Dakota frame getting low enough. I want to share my opinion, here. I like lowered cars a lot, but I have a theory on stance that might interest you. Longer cars have to be slightly higher in the front and you made yours look longer by sectioning it. Please don't have your front end hanging in the dirt, especially if you're going to put fender skirts on the car. Notice the '49 in your tail light pictures, it's hanging in the front. No, No, No.
I'm glad you're thinking about the tail lights, but I don't have any ideas for you.

Earlier, you were talking about the Dakota frame getting low enough. I want to share my opinion, here. I like lowered cars a lot, but I have a theory on stance that might interest you. Longer cars have to be slightly higher in the front and you made yours look longer by sectioning it. Please don't have your front end hanging in the dirt, especially if you're going to put fender skirts on the car. Notice the '49 in your tail light pictures, it's hanging in the front. No, No, No.
I'm glad you're thinking about the tail lights, but I don't have any ideas for you.

No worries abou the nose in the dirt Mac.
This car will sit lower level or with a bit of speed boat stance.
The so called “ California rake” ( nose down and slight lift in the rear ) came about around the early sixties when the late 50’s ( 57-58-59) cars were getting more of a paint job customizing by people like Larry Watson.
just as a reminder. This is the template for what I'm shooting for.
Torchie

Attachments

• ga8v5xmtkwo55nl4gaujw6tru2jnerpk.jpg
    ga8v5xmtkwo55nl4gaujw6tru2jnerpk.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 26
We talked at length about the grill for my Dodge. Now it's time to talk about Tail lights.

For a near stock option, FWIW, I prefer the simpler tail lights used on some of the other Dodge models of the same vintage over the spears.

Bob

Attachments

• Dodge_Wayfarer_1949-1952_(1951-1952_D41-Series_coupe_2d)_(01)_-CA1-.jpg
    Dodge_Wayfarer_1949-1952_(1951-1952_D41-Series_coupe_2d)_(01)_-CA1-.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 58
For a near stock option, FWIW, I prefer the simpler tail lights used on some of the other Dodge models of the same vintage over the spears.

Bob

Great minds think alike CB:D Those 50 Dodge Coronet are on my list along with 51 Fords with(Possibly) the windsplits and the 49 Mercury Tailights.

Will there be any Frenching goin on ???
[P[P[P

Sounds like a "First Date " question OI.:eek::p:eek:
Perhaps..... I will probably have to build out a bit from the fender using some steel rod for the form. It all depends on the shape
Here are a pair of the 49 Mercury Tail lights. I have always loved these and my be able to use them vertical or horizontal.
It would be great if I could use these with the bezel. I like a little bling as it helps to make the paint POP!
Torchie

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 13
On a bright note....

Getting close to starting another trip around the sun so I had to renew my drivers license today.
Passed the eye test without glasses with flying colors.
My right eye is still a bit blurry and always will be due to a wrinkle in the back of the eye. At this point i'm using some dollar store 2.50 magnifiers for reading only.
I have some magnifiers in my welding helmet so getting anxious to get back out in the shop to give it a try. Maybe tomorrow as we have another cold front moving in on Sunday.:eek:
Torchie

I like these...

attachment.php

Keep you chin up, Torchie, and stay off the 5th floor!

Always Crank. Too hard to climb that many stairs.[ddd
I like the 50 Dodge as well but I just found out that I have been gifted with a set of the 49 Mercury Tail lights complete with freshly chromed bezels as well as Frenching buckets. Plus they have a bit of custom history to them as well.
Unless they absolutey won't work these will be my first choice.
there are still very good people out there...
Keep on keeping on.:D
Torchie

I'm liking those 49 Merc lights. I was going to suggest the overused Packard tails, but they would take a lot of fabbing to extend the fender tops enough.

Which car was it that had the long lights that ran like a spear down the top of the fender down then on the rear? Called a "safety glow"? Nash? Rambler? Having a mental block right now, recovering from a mild case of the flu this week and my brain is still scrambled....

First date [cl[cl[cl[ddd[ddd[ddd

I know. I can't resist....:p :D [ddd

I'm liking those 49 Merc lights. I was going to suggest the overused Packard tails, but they would take a lot of fabbing to extend the fender tops enough.

Which car was it that had the long lights that ran like a spear down the top of the fender down then on the rear? Called a "safety glow"? Nash? Rambler? Having a mental block right now, recovering from a mild case of the flu this week and my brain is still scrambled....

Not sure on the lights you are thinking of Bama, but back then everything had a name it seems.:)
Packard lights are great but at around $1500 for a good pair...NO thanks.
I think that no matter what I use (other then the 50 Dodge or the stock 49) there will be some reshaping of the rear fender.
The gift package of the 49 Merc lights will be here on Thursday.
Hope you feel better soon...
Torchie

Tired of sitting around talking about it.

Out in the shop this morning. Did a quick tack job on the PS front fender and hung it on the car. Dragged the hood out from behind the boat project to take a look at the deer hit damage.
Hit pretty hard and I will need to cut out that welded in brace to be able to get to it from the back side.
That's for another day.
Put everything on the car but the trunk lid.
PS fit good. DS not as. A long way to go.
The shop is a bloody mess so I am going to start spending some time out there everyday to get it and me back into shape. Wrestling with that fender and hood nearly did me in.
Way too long of a layoff.
Keep'n at it(Sort of.)
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 2-10.jpg
    2-10.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 28
  • 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 26
  • 2-11.jpg
    2-11.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 28
Moving right alone, us older guys do need to slow down just a little bit. :D
The car is looking very nice[;)

Question, have you thought about pancaking the hood [S

Keep On Keeping On (sort of is good)[cl

Moving right alone, us older guys do need to slow down just a little bit. :D
The car is looking very nice[;)

Question, have you thought about pancaking the hood [S

Keep On Keeping On (sort of is good)[cl

There will be some hood mods for sure soltz. Probably like the picture that Dr Crankenstein photo shopped.

I don't believe that I will do a full on pancake (As in welding the hood and fenders together and cutting a new opening at the upper part of the hood) as I don't think that would do much for the looks. I like that treatment better on later model cars that have a flatter hood. My 53 Ford Victoria had that done to it. And I've got more then enough to do anyway:eek: [;) :p
Torchie

Attachments

• Torchie 1950-dodge-coronet Copy (2).jpg
    Torchie 1950-dodge-coronet Copy (2).jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Frank-Charles-Gilardon-1953-Ford.jpg
    Frank-Charles-Gilardon-1953-Ford.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 20
With the hood and fenders on there, the car looks longer than it used to, with that short top! I like the overall look a lot, and am looking forward to what you do with the hood and grille. You're making good progress, and as you get feeling better, things will speed up. Congrats on having the vision and ability to make this project a reality! [cl[cl

With the hood and fenders on there, the car looks longer than it used to, with that short top! I like the overall look a lot, and am looking forward to what you do with the hood and grille. You're making good progress, and as you get feeling better, things will speed up. Congrats on having the vision and ability to make this project a reality! [cl[cl

Thanks all...
The sectioning did a lot to make it look longer as well animal. But what moving the top forward does is make the rear deck longer. These Dodge's have a very short( and Large) Butt.:eek:
Plus getting rid of the squared off rear of the roof adds to it as well.
It's a lot of little :)p ) changes that make all the difference.
It may get even longer as I am working on getting a 1950 DeSoto to do a frame swap. They are the same body shell as the Dodge but the wheel base is 2 plus inches longer. All in front of the fire wall. It would require me to use the front sheet metal off the DeSoto as well. Which is one of the reason all of this is just tacked together for now.
Thanks for visiting.....
Torchie

I appreciate your vision, Torchie, [well, at least when it agrees with mine]. My vote for your hood is, leave it un-pancaked. The flow lines of your car will be 'semi-tail-dragger' and if you pancake the hood you will change the lines at the windshield and break up the nice flow. Pancaking the hood is a lot of work, and it will take away from the side view of the car.
Keep on tinkering.

I think that we agree on most things mac. At least the important ones.[ddd
Pancaking hoods is not among my favorite custom mods. I have seen some I liked but many others that just didn't make sense to me.[S
Like I said, just some reshaping of the front of the hood ala Dr Cranks photo shop.
Moving ahead.....
Cold and sunny here and after getting plowed out from 10 " of new snow last night made a run to recycling with a Mega load.:eek:
Then I moved the trunk lid out from behind the boat and stripped of the trunk handle/ brake light unit.
This is going to be the next b piece sectioned. But not tomorrow as it's only going to be a high of 8 degrees.
Stay warm everyone....
Torchie

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 17