1936 International Uncle Walter's Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a radiator

So I had cobbled in a small radiator that didn't fit and leaked for the test run. Then last night I was surfing the local facebook market pages thing. There was a guy selling a 36 International with an Olds 455 and a lot of work done to it. I messaged him and asked about the stock rad. He said "Yea, I think I still have it". So today he sent me pics and we made arrangements to get it in a couple of weeks when our days off align up. He also has a stock door latch striker plate that he didn't use. I'm also going to pick that up for a good price.

Now I need to find hoses for my remote oil filter and find out what filter to use in it.

is that a squirrel pelt flapping around on the driveshaft? :D

dont quote me, but I THINK all you have to do to post youtube vids here is copy the url and paste it, then delete the "s" in https, and delete anthing after the video location name (if anything is there) so the code is
Code:
https://youtu.be/SxcLycZUD4o

and when you post it like that it looks like this, I hope

http://youtu.be/SxcLycZUD4o

edit: nope. looks like they did away with that functionality in the last change, I remember doing it though. now it just wraps url tags around it

Copy and paste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzbRwlZ7Fmo

attachment.php

Attachments

• youtube paste.jpg
    youtube paste.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 123
is that a squirrel pelt flapping around on the driveshaft? :D

Actually that is a ball of fence wire. I didn't remove it yet because I was going to try to just get this thing running and on the road like it was when my Uncle John was last driving it in the mid 60s. I am going to have to remove the wire though. He was pretty rough on this truck, almost all the hanger brackets for the running boards are bent toward the back and torn out up. At least I am guessing it was him and not Great Uncle Walter.

I have all the hubs off and trying to figure out what to do for brakes. Rear hubs were a big pain in the rear to pull.

I'm picking up the radiator tomorrow.

Got the radiator today and the striker plate, and an artillery wheel, and a couple little other bits he didn't use. Including an inside panel for a door. It is a little different than the one I have but close enough to work and its green.

So I got the lines for the oil filter, but no oil filter in town. By next days off I'll have one.

Now I have to figure out brakes.

Master Cylinder is available, but damn spendy, front wheel cylinders are available reasonable, and rear wheel cylinders are made of unobtanium. And one rear drum is totally trashed anyway.

I have this International trailer that is a later model so hoping I can figure out what year it is, and see if brake parts are available for this axle.

45869380584_5649f9653e_c.jpg
[/url]20190103_133535 by Bubba Gump01, on Flickr [/IMG]

The Blue 50's bed didn't work out.

Plan C

The dreaded Ford 9".
Not that I really wanted to do it, because everyone does it. But I have a 63 Ford Convertible in my yard. Axle is 2 1/4" wider, so 1 1/8" per side. Should be close enough for what i'm doing, and it really quickens up my timeline.

Not much to take pictures of yet, but hopefully soon

Well brake "project creep" happened. New 2 compartment master, all new brake lines, all new master cylinders. Only took 3 trips to the parts store and 2 online orders. The only brake parts that touch the fluid that were reused were some of the "Tees" that I could clean out and verify they were good.
Brake shoes all look useable for the time being. Rears are easy since its a 60's Ford 9". Fronts will have to probably get relined within 5000 miles, Which may take a couple years to get to.
The brake light switch leaks so I need to find another one as soon as I figure out what I'm going to do to rewire this thing.
I'll try to get the "first drive in 55 years" video up soon.

I got a lot of work to do as I have entered it in its first car show on April 20th, in Las Vegas. Room is reserved, now just a lot of work to do in the next month.

The dual master cylinder is a good move.
I bet the rear end swap was almost as easy as working on the ole Binder hubs and brake.
I'll be on the side lines waiting to see the first drive.
[P[P[P

The dual master cylinder is a good move.
I bet the rear end swap was almost as easy as working on the ole Binder hubs and brake.
I'll be on the side lines waiting to see the first drive.
[P[P[P

Rear end swap was easier,quicker and cheaper than messing with the Old Binder Hubs. Also wasn't my first plan.

I didn't get the video on youtube last night. Maybe one or 2 too many beers slowed down my progress on that.

I got the windshield out this weekend. Every bolt on it either broke or had to be cut off with the dremel. Then I had the pleasure of taking the frame apart so I can get new glass in it. Anyway it's at the glass shop and I'm back to work until Saturday. Should be done by next week.

I also talked to the local guy who does upholstery. He looked at the seats full of Rat crap and said "it's going to be cheaper if you clean them first". So an hour and a half with the pressure washer and bleach and he has some clean frames to start with.
During the spring fixing part of this I realized my seat base doesn't match the back. It's a bit narrower and different spring style. I'm thinking it was changed out when the gas tank got out under the seat. The factory gas tank was under the bed in the back. Not sure why it was moved. Anyway I'm gonna get it redone and make it work, because it came with the truck

Lots of work done but not really much worthy of pics. I rebuilt all 6 cab mounts. They were all broken and rotted out.
I put in a new wire harness so I could run 12 volts. All new wires. Replaced all the old cloth ones. Installed 2 taillights since it only had one, and I wanted turn signals. New brake light switch. I found some cab lights and put them on the front fenders for clearance and turn lights. The heater motor works so I got a voltage reducer for it and a new heater switch. New headlight switch and plugs for the 12 volt bulbs.

I was having a hard time to figure out a gas tank. My buddy gave me a vintage one that I presume came off a dozer or other Caterpillar product.

I took the starter down to the same old shop and they fixed the cable post where it was broken and just spinning. They said everything else in it looked good.

Attachments

• 20190409_121514.jpg
    20190409_121514.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190409_121455.jpg
    20190409_121455.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 20190409_121447.jpg
    20190409_121447.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20190409_121432.jpg
    20190409_121432.jpg