wiring the starter to ignition

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin53

Can anyone help me with the wiring on my 1953 dodge truck. I'm trying to wire a 78 slant 6 using the 1953 Dodge stock wire and ignition. Has any one done this the original starter was a push starter will I need to get a new ignition switch or can I use the stock. If so how do I wire starter and solenoid to the battery and ignition. Please help I'm ready to cruise.

Attachments

• IMG_20140410_195025_314.jpg
    IMG_20140410_195025_314.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 24
I'm not as familiar with Dodges as Fords, but I have some questions and answers.
Have you changed the rest of your truck over to 12 volts because your new starter is probably 12 volts? If you have, then you're half way there. There should be a medium sized wire that comes from the big post on the solenoid and goes to the back of the key switch bringing it electricity. It might go to the light switch first and then maybe through the amp gauge and then to the key. The small black taped wire on the solenoid is probably the starter energizer wire. If you get a newer key switch; one with at least three notches on it, then the notch right over clockwise will be 'start'. Wire the spade on the back of the key switch, that's live when you are in the start position to that little black taped wire on the solenoid. You will also need a wire from the 'start' spade on the back of the key switch to the positive side of the coil or to the ballast resistor, the side that goes to the coil. That will give you 12 volt ignition when you're trying to start the engine. Now, let go of the key and it will spring back to the 'on' position. The spade that is live now has to be wired to the other side of the ballast resistor so the electricity is cut back to 8 or 9 volts when you are running your engine. You will already have put a wire from the + side of the coil to the side of the ballast resistor that the 'start' wire went too.
Keep on tinkering.

The reason I ask about a new ignition is that the stock ignition was meant to turn then step on the push start above the starter. The ignition does not have the spring in it that swings back when turned all the way to the right

You can use the original ignition to energize the coil. You can install a push button to activate the starter

You have a couple of choices. You can replace the existing key switch with a regular ignition switch that has that spring loaded start position, or you can add a separate push button switch that is used to kick the starter.

Marine stores carry nice brass ignition switches, generally made by Cole Hersee, that come either way. If you install one of the ones that has the start function built in all you do is run a wire from the "S" post on the switch to the part of the starter that excites the starter motor. (not familiar with Mopar starters, so not sure what that looks like)

If you install a separate push button switch you wire it so that it gets juice when you turn the key to "ON" and then you run a wire from it to the starter. Or, you can make that push button hot all the time , which is convenient when you want to bump the motor over without it starting.

Either way, easy to do.

Don

Martin, One more way popped into my head. A friend of mine was building a Chev and wanted to keep the foot mechanical starter. If you wanted to keep the foot operated one, you could get a mechanical, electrical starter button that is as big as your thumb, put a rubber accordion boot over it and add the little pedal that you already have on top of the new electrical switch and it will look like a stock one. Older Ford and Mopars and many farm tractors used these switches for starters.

Here's a switch like I was talking about. It's out of a Massey-Harris tractor from the early fifties.
Anyhow, if you bolted this on the floor where your old foot starter mechanism was you could disguise it as the original and use it.
There are two big terminals on the back side of this one. You only need a medium or small wire from the big post on your starter to one of these terminals and two small wires from the other terminal; one to the small post on the starter and one to the + side of the coil.

Attachments

• IMG_1234.jpg
    IMG_1234.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1235.jpg
    IMG_1235.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 4
Thanks but I went with a push button on the days not sure how its supposed to be hooked up but put one wire straight from the solenoid and the other side straight to the battery. Turned my key and it worked fine. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Latest posts

Back