Smaller engine rat rods??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I took my willys on a night cruise tonight I thought about this thread as I was doing a big old burnout in front of my buddy's house. Made me laugh out loud for a second lol.

22 mpg 5speed 5.0 engine loads of fun.

Attachments

• 1344021809066.jpg
    1344021809066.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 1344021731299.jpg
    1344021731299.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 66
Hi Everyone

Thanks for all the insight. I think I will start to look for maybe a 4 cylinder Chevy to power my next rat rod project. Maybe I can even find something with a standard trans too. I really want to be able to enjoy my rat rod project (maybe a daily driver???)and not just as something to scare women and children with smokey burnouts and loud pipes. I live on a real road so I listen to plenty of unmuffled hot rods and Harleys too (its gets old really really quick).
Something good one gas I would think would make me want to drive it more...I know I am not the norm on here but I also dont have the money most of you folks on here have either. Let the Craigslist searching begin.:)

MikeC

P.S. anybody have Chevy 4 cylinder with a standard trans they might wanna sell please drop me a line.

If you are looking to save $ then you should also be on the lookout for a Ford "falcon six" powertrain. They came in 144, 170, 200 & 250 cubes and most people just about give them away. They came in all the secretary versions of falcons, comets, mustangs, mavericks, etc. People are always yanking them out of falcons & stangs to drop in V8s.

I got my engine & trans on CL for $300. All it needed was a $40 distributor and clean the carb. I'm real happy with it.

Attachments

• VR eng.jpg
    VR eng.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 45
I know this isn a little off track but a buddy of mine put a 4.6 Ford in his 49 Ford coupe (featured in one of the first issues of RatRod magazine along with his 41 Willys pickup) He scrounged and traded to gety a 5 speed from a Mustang to put behind it. He had practically nothing into the engine and wired it all himself from the donor car. It gets an honest 25 mpg on the highway. I really don't think you could do much better than that with a 4 or 6 banger. In a lighter car, it would no doubt do 30 mpg. I had a 4,6 in a big Merc and it would get 25 in a headwind and often averaged over 30.

If you are looking to save $ then you should also be on the lookout for a Ford "falcon six" powertrain. They came in 144, 170, 200 & 250 cubes and most people just about give them away. They came in all the secretary versions of falcons, comets, mustangs, mavericks, etc. People are always yanking them out of falcons & stangs to drop in V8s.

I got my engine & trans on CL for $300. All it needed was a $40 distributor and clean the carb. I'm real happy with it.

They were in a pile of cars, the one in my Dodge is from a 71 Torino. I am really happy with how it runs too!!! May not be a lot of motor, but it does have some set ya back power!!!!

Before I found my current project, 52 Chevy, I was looking for a Volvo, yes I said Volvo. I was planning on useing a motorcycle motor. Hyibusa(spelling?) and I still want to do it but the wallet says no at this point.
I think small engine small bodied cars could be a blast.

Attachments

• volvo-pv-544-12[1].jpg
    volvo-pv-544-12[1].jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 43
Tuning on your carb and ring and pinion change will help. My 79 Caprice with its stock 305 2 bbl gets 23-25, 275000 miles and a big ole heavy car. If it had a Quadrajet it would do a little better. Same thing in a light rod would be even better. I see a lot of car/trucks at shows that are running real rich and need to change to smaller jets, run better and better MPG.
Tim

Combo

I agree with Timbo. Economy comes with tuning and the proper combination of parts. A good target cruising RPM is about 2000 at highway speeds, which is typical of late-model cars. Another tip is to use vacuum advance as well as mechanical advance. Vacuum advance is all about economy. Even better would be to use a new programmable electronic ignition controller like the MSD 6AL-2 that allows you to dial in the most efficient timing curve at light throttle and the most power at heavy-to-wide open throttle.

My 455-Olds powered wagon gets about 16 mpg at 65 mph on the highway turning 1900 rpm. That's still better than most older 1/2 ton pickups with small-block V8s. And the 455 has a rowdy long-duration cam, too!

440shorty

my son in law is into those 4 banger ,hairdryer thingys. IMO a hot rod/rat rod has a V-8 something in it. I don't ever remember looking for a 6 cylinder when I was a kid. I do have one 2.3L, to fit in a LSR class, but it is going in a Renault Dauphine!

In the 80's I ran a warmed over 261 in my '53 Chevy, 3 speed manual, 30" tires and 4:11 rear. 12-14mpg.

In the 90's I ran a built 250 in the same '53 Chevy, race prepped powerglide, 30" tires and 3:53 rear. 10-12 mpg.

Now it has a 300hp 350, TH350, 27" tires and a 3:73 rear. 14 mpg. 6 if I'm having some fun...[cl

I rarely drive it on the highway, so my mpg numbers are just bombing around town. The 250 version was the most fun to drive... probably the powerglide.

I'm currently building a '30 Chevy and it will have a 235 Chevy in it, most likely a 3 speed manual and 3:73 gears... mpg???? who cares.:D

Latest posts

Back