New 322 owner

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zpi28

I now have my first Nailhead. Been looking for one for several years. Hope to get a 348/409 next. Going to see if I can get this one started. Its pretty much complete minus the carb. All the wiring still looks good in the car so once I get a good 6V battery Ill see what I have here. Going to vacuum out all that debris/nest out of all the ports. I am unsure how long this motor has sat so I will try to turn it over by hand first. Then add some Trans fluid to the cylinders.

I now have my first Nailhead. Been looking for one for several years. Hope to get a 348/409 next.

I looked for years before I found my BB Nailhead! Been looking even longer for a decent 348/409... they're *really* hard to find here in Tejas... unless you wanna sell the farm or pull out the Platinum card (which I don't have)! :eek::eek::eek:

Congrats!

BoB

Cleaned up that rats nest. Shop vac had a good time with it. Sucked out all I could out of the intake. Reached down and grabbed the fan. And this old girl turns over. Wasnt even stuck a little. I turned it over several times and you could hear the valves popping.

12V? I hope so I was just reading about some old buicks and everyone was talking about there 6V batteries. The battery tray is kinda long like a 6V battery. Ill get a picture of it tomorrow. But 12V would be great.

Thanks Tipper, I just joined that site. I found more info on it, yes its 12V. And I just found how to turn it over:D Tricky Buick folks..

That figures, but christmas time isnt the time for me to buy another engine. And thats a good haul from me.

My Dad bought a 56 buick special and I had no clue how to start it ,,, he said just give it the gas and it will start :D starter lever was under the gas pedal.... cool .. but his was a strait 8 in it ,, and I never seen on of them either

it had a strait 8 ,,, may not have been original ?? i dont know but it had 16 inch wheels on it and was rusted completely out
56.jpg this was her

Yeah 56 would have originally been a 300hp 322 Nailhead. Cant believe someone swapped it out with a fireball 8. When I bought this 55 there was a 49 Roadmaster next to it with a Straight 8 in it. Ive heard one before and they sound great to me.

Yeah 56 would have originally been a 300hp 322 Nailhead. Cant believe someone swapped it out with a fireball 8.
I probably know why, same reason I swapped out a 348 in a bubble top 61 Impala to a 283, when I was 17.
I was broke :( that's all I had and needed it to go to work ;)

Actually the last year for the straight 8 was 1953, and only in the special. The super and roadmaster had the 322 nailhead. The straight 8s were very smooth running engines and were very reliable.

Latest posts

Back