Wire wheel question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaddyT

I have a set of 17" and 19" Ford wire wheels I would like to use. The 17's look pretty solid with straight spokes with the exception for 3 bent spokes. The 19's have a few more bent spokes but hardly noticeable. There is one broken spoke on one the 19's. Are these still useable? Can they be fixed? Is it worth the time to fix them. Are they safe enough for hwy cruising? Planning on running a Ford 2.0 4-banger. Could I go bigger with these wheels?
Pics are of the worst damage to the wheels. White-19" and Green-17".

Attachments

• photo 1 (1).jpg
    photo 1 (1).jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 23
  • photo 2 (1).jpg
    photo 2 (1).jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 16
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 17
I have a set of 17" and 19" Ford wire wheels I would like to use. The 17's look pretty solid with straight spokes with the exception for 3 bent spokes. The 19's have a few more bent spokes but hardly noticeable. There is one broken spoke on one the 19's. Are these still useable? Can they be fixed? Is it worth the time to fix them. Are they safe enough for hwy cruising? Planning on running a Ford 2.0 4-banger. Could I go bigger with these wheels?
Pics are of the worst damage to the wheels. White-19" and Green-17".

Would have to say maybe useable around the yard. I'm sure they can be fixed. Not really worth the time. Would not cruise the hwy on them over 40mph.

Now explanations. I was going to run a set of 19's on the front of my rod and it can be done but in my opinion it's not worth the effort unless it's something you have to have because you will have to build your entire front end around the wheels. As for repairing them again can be done but I personally wouldn't try if my kid or wife or anyone but me was ever to ride in my truck, you can buy remanufactured wheels from a few places online and for what they are they are not bad priced.
That style wheel is good for a restoration where you are running the original brakes they look a little weird on disk brakes and you have to deal with the huge lug pattern which isn't a popular size but you can get it. Then you have to use the hub rings to support them due to not having shoes for support. The list goes on:eek:

Now this is just my opinion but as stated I wanted to run them also and people told me not to and I didn't listen, it took me about 2 years to come around.

But on the other hand if you decide to go with those rims I have a nice set of 51 ford f-100 drums on model a spindles :D

They can be fixed, but you can find them in good condition probably cheaper than fixing those, so why take the chance?

My opinion, fwiw, 80 year old metal, wheels that were designed for 40 horsepower and 40 mph when the metal was new, not fatigued, bent, rusted. Not suitable for todays highway speeds and horsepower.

Latest posts

Back