Steering box questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hankthebigdog

I searched this place the best I could and still do not have the answer I was looking for. I am looking to put a traditional steering box in my 1934 auburn. I have a new front axle from speedway---hub to hub, and I dont know where to find the right box for this heavy tank. Small block, {350/350} set up leaf springs dropped axle.
I read corvair on the frame, BUT weight is my nemisis. Vega are cross steer I think[S, is there a particular truck box that will work? Also I do not have any steering column to put in, so an altogether set up from ????? might fit the bill. Help me out if you can

I think an early Econoline would work. They are pretty small and light for a fill column. Kind of short, too. I am a little confused as to whether they will work from behind the axle, though. It seems to be OK. I have one I am playing with for a future build.:confused:

Howdy Brother.
I don't have an answer for you but I do think you need to
start a build thread and share it with us. I, for one, having seen what you're
starting with, would love to watch your progress on this build.

It's going to be a cool ride.

If you want manual steering use a 60's to ? Chevy pickup box and turn the chassis mounting holes down.
G-855G-700-MAP.jpg

If you want power steering take a 70's to ? Chevy pickup box and turn the chassis mounting holes down.
On both boxes, mount the pitman arm down vertically and it will push and pull in the right directions.

1262-SP-both-map.jpg

Last edited:
cool. I need to look in the yard to find one. any particular year preferences in the consensus?

F-1 is '48-'52, or F-100 from '53-'63. They all have a traditional style steering box with a triangular through-frame style mounting flange. They are easily adaptable and plenty strong. As I said before the column is also attached to the box and they have a nice clean hot rod look...

I will look into the chevy box. sounds like it might be just what I need.
thanks for all the input.

POPS---
I am taking a few pics as I get to tinker with the little jewel. I plan on posting when I gather a few days progress. Time in the shop is limited, so not much progress at one sitting.

Latest posts

Back