Another what would you do thread.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My '62 Bel Air had a 235 and factory automatic. After several failed attempts to rebuild it (engine from hell), in went a 355 with a TH350. That made a MUCH BETTER car out of it. If I did it all over again I would go with the SBC right from the start. While I loved the look and nostalgia of the 235, with the SBC it's much quieter inside, and just much more enjoyable to drive. Fuel mileage is better as well.

I would say use a SBC.

Yeah, you are probably right.

My '62 Bel Air had a 235 and factory automatic. After several failed attempts to rebuild it (engine from hell), in went a 355 with a TH350. That made a MUCH BETTER car out of it. If I did it all over again I would go with the SBC right from the start. While I loved the look and nostalgia of the 235, with the SBC it's much quieter inside, and just much more enjoyable to drive. Fuel mileage is better as well.

I would say use a SBC.

I hear ya. My nostalgia for the 235 comes from my old '46 bone stock pickup which I absolutely loved and miss. The 350/350 would make it a much better driver, and probably would happen eventually anyway, so might as well do it now and save the extra time and trouble. Good point. Thanks.

That's cool, e-man! :D

There is the lighted version that I believe would have come with this car, but of course that is gone. :( Not only that, at one point the hood must have flown open while in transit, because the corners are bent way up and the trim piece and hood are both crinkled where they hit the roof. Thankfully it didn't break the windshield! One good thing about this car is that all the glass is there and only one rear wing window cracked and not that badly. There is hope for it (and me) yet! :)

Don't say that! :D

It kind of looks like a dismantling assembly line you got going there. How long before the poncho comes out the other end with no doors?

Well, that's the way most of them got here, in parts and pieces! The idea is put them back toGETHER, not take them apart. Pontiac with no doors is just NOT gonna happen, trust me. Might be without a hood, though, as that one is pretty messed up, but other than one latch missing, the rest is staying! :)

It took an hour and a half to get the old exhaust off The Chief today. It ran through the frame in 3 places, so it was a couple of cuts lying in the dirt and gravel and then yanking and kicking on it, and finally the crowbar for one final OOMPH. If I had a lift, it would have been 10 minutes. With a lift and a torch, about 5! Ah, the life of a back yard hack. :)

AZ I know what you mean with no lift .. before I got mine I done everything on the ground , I swapped out the frame on a 72 old cutlass convertible , from a 2 door sedan and I used 55 gallon drums and 2x6s ... Didnt think it was a big deal till I look back on it now , I did a lot of frame striping when I was younger . Took a scout frame and put it under a bug just for fun ,

Well, ummm, errr, uhhh ...

Life with no torch? :eek::eek: I was born with mine, it was a little rough on ma though....;)

I have one of those cheesy things you screw on a bottle, but lit it up and it was black smoke and not much frame. Guess that one's too old to use. :confused:

AZ I know what you mean with no lift .. before I got mine I done everything on the ground ...

I'd say I am too old for this $h!7, but there is a certain satisfaction from getting things done without the proper tools and equipment. Then again, it takes forever, and ... I am getting too old for this! :D

Always thought I could be happy in a fully equipped shop with a lift and a bedroom and bath off to one side. Even a couch in the corner and porta potty would do! :cool:

Help me decide ...

Okay folks, I got the front end off today and getting a better look at how much room there is for the drivetrain. There is a cross member missing, so going to have to get one for the trans mount. Anyway, I have 4 options for power:

1) 235 straight 6 Chevy engine(s)
2) 4.3 L Chevy V6
3) 350 Chevy small block
4) 454 Chevy big block

I suppose what is really needed is to decide what this car will be; daily driver, weekend cruiser, or ratty hot rod. Leaning toward a driver with the 350 in it and auto trans from the old trusty Suburban. Thoughts ??? Thanks in advance...

Looks so much better already. Aren't you glad you don't have to spend years and thousands of dollars to have fun with it? :cool: It takes imagination and pride to make a 4 door cool but that challenge means it won't be another cookie cutter ride. I dislike seeing shaved back door handles to pretend a car is 2 door. I want to see 4 tapper handles on a 4 door. Celebrate the 4 doorness!

Many people just don't get the 4-door thing, and assume only 2 doors can be cool. It was suggested once that I should shave the rear handles on my '62, and that idea was promptly shot down. I love my 4-door and wouldn't trade it for any 2-door.

Okay folks, I got the front end off today and getting a better look at how much room there is for the drivetrain. There is a cross member missing, so going to have to get one for the trans mount. Anyway, I have 4 options for power:

1) 235 straight 6 Chevy engine(s)
2) 4.3 L Chevy V6
3) 350 Chevy small block
4) 454 Chevy big block

I suppose what is really needed is to decide what this car will be; daily driver, weekend cruiser, or ratty hot rod. Leaning toward a driver with the 350 in it and auto trans from the old trusty Suburban. Thoughts ??? Thanks in advance...

My vote is still for the 350!

Many people just don't get the 4-door thing, and assume only 2 doors can be cool. It was suggested once that I should shave the rear handles on my '62, and that idea was promptly shot down. I love my 4-door and wouldn't trade it for any 2-door.

My vote is still for the 350!

I think mine is too, although I heard a rumor of a Pontiac 400 today... [S

Slow down grasshopper.:D You have the makings of your own personal junkyard now. Keep adding stuff and you'll never know which one to work on, if you do work on one. I know how it is, you see this or that, think "I can use that", get it home, then the reality sinks in, "What the heck was I thinking?". Just trying to save you some grief {and money}. :D

Good advice from Bam on page #1 Dave ....god knows I need to keep reading it .

And what wrong with a 6 banger ???

Yup, got out of control ...

Good advice from Bam on page #1 Dave ....god knows I need to keep reading it .

True, and I should have heeded that advice earlier, but didn't think it would become a problem. The more the merrier, right? Nope. Sold the BMW, had some money and went looking on craigslist, and the OCD kicked in. New Year's resolution is to stop doing that! Done. 'Bama was right, and I should have listened, but Enthusiasm won out over Practicality. "A man's gotta know his limitations." :)

Having 4 projects out back is indeed daunting, so I've put a couple up for sale locally, if only to relieve a little of the "pressure." Had an offer on one, but not quite enough to break even, so asked for a little more money; no response yet. The '90 GMC Suburban is sold; one less headache.

Psychologically, it may have been an unwise choice to move them all under the awning and into workable positions. That added to the confusion and clutter, so going to push a couple out and focus on just one (or two). That should help!? [S

And what's wrong with a 6 banger ???

Using a 6 banger would be easier, since there is one on the engine hoist. A 6 in the Pontiac would be fine for now, and would not require swapping out the rear end for something able to handle more power. My right foot is rather heavy, and would likely break the diff. All that can come later, and it would really help matters if some progress was made. So yeah, another good idea. ;)

Thanks for the post, it has really helped me sort out some of this mess. [cl

I had the same affliction. At one time I think there were 17 cars on my lot. I could see some redeeming value in every old hulk I could get cheap or free. Nothing ever got finished, or even close. At some point I came to the realization that the hunt (and find) was my juice so I turned it into a small enterprise. Now I find 'em, dream about them a while and let reality set in then flip them for profit and move on. I do want another project and just the right one will come along. I still haven't given up my dream on the 40 Ford panel but it needs a lot and will be a big commitment. Reality is to start a fund and get $4000-$6000 to buy something that's a good driver already and not just a shell that needs everything.

On "seeing the good" ...

I had the same affliction. At one time I think there were 17 cars on my lot. I could see some redeeming value in every old hulk I could get cheap or free. Nothing ever got finished, or even close. At some point I came to the realization that the hunt (and find) was my juice so I turned it into a small enterprise. Now I find 'em, dream about them a while and let reality set in then flip them for profit and move on. I do want another project and just the right one will come along. I still haven't given up my dream on the 40 Ford panel but it needs a lot and will be a big commitment. Reality is to start a fund and get $4000-$6000 to buy something that's a good driver already and not just a shell that needs everything.

I hear ya. The back yard has been FULL of projects 3 times in 14 years living here. The first time the city inspector came crashing down on my plans, so sold them all off. The second time turned into a Miata parts and rejuvenation biz that lasted 8 years, then petered out. That kept the bills paid after quitting a corporate job that was going to kill me, literally! (Stress)

The current one is thinning out as reality and age are starting to rear their ugly heads. I think I can deal with it, but then often go out to get something accomplished and just wander from one to another thinking about what is needed, get frustrated, and go back inside. The key is go get something done, even if it is something simple. At least that is some sort of progress.

All this stuff has been cheap, so I can get my money back out of it. It's sort of an investment fund, as you say. The potential is there, or at least the ability to recoup the investment, maybe even make a few bucks, and that is okay. As long as the bills get paid ... :)

Latest posts

Back