I Have No Self Control

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm not actively working on the Bantam but I keep an eye on Craigslist and other sources for parts. Lately I bought a 400 Turbo out of a big block Camaro, a Mopar manual steering box that works well for cowl steering and the 8 3/4" Mopar rear end pictured. The rear end has the 489 casting third member.

Pretty sure I'll build a round tube frame. It will be a street car that is NHRA legal.

Damn Bob, you got it bad. At least I can show the wife your posts when she says I have too many things going on.

Today I hole sawed 64 holes in a pair of wishbones. Doing work that is labor intensive and doesn't cost money. When I get steel for the frame I'll start a build thread.

I have the same disease, although I am a bit younger.

My only hope is that my friends stop my wife from selling off the stuff for what I told her we bought it for, on my death.

:)

Bob, the way you approach the builds and projects and the beauties you turn out...how can anybody call yours a "bad" affliction!!!;)

Picked up the Lakewood-style ladder bars off of Craigslist. Once upon a time they were chrome plated. Also got a pair of 5 slot rims. the boxes are dated 1993. It'll have coils in the rear, but not coil-overs. Trying to keep it old school.

Do the vinegar soak or coke and aluminum foil thing on the ladder bars and see how much chrome is still there.....

Love the wheels! (You can send 'em here if they don't "fit". :D)

Speaking of fitment... and please correct me if I'm wrong... I don't think you can run these by NHRA rule. :(

Love the wheels! (You can send 'em here if they don't "fit". :D)

Speaking of fitment... and please correct me if I'm wrong... I don't think you can run these by NHRA rule. :(

Because they're unilug? I can't find anything in the rulebook regarding that. Even so, most of the places I run will not even notice.

Gotta save my pennies for a set of Towel City pie crust slicks.

As usual, Bob, you are putting some nice parts together. :) Gonna be a nice car.

Seriously, what is it about us that makes us want to keep collecting this stuff and building these cars ? How many cars does one person need ? I am like you, I am 70 and keep bringing more of this stuff home and I still want more yet !

My last ex GF once said to me "Honey, how MANY cars do you NEED ??" I told her I didn't NEED any of them, but I WANTED as many as I could build. :D (that is why she is my EX GF. :p)

Don

Ya know, Dr. C, I thought it was a rule too til tonight when I checked.

Don, You mirror my thoughts exactly. We must be twins separated at birth.[cl

I freed up a garage stall today. The Fiat found it's way to the back garage for the winter. Started pulling out parts that I squirreled away. There's more small stuff that I already have. We'll see what the checkbook looks like and maybe I can get the frame material this month.

Started mocking up to determine how much to narrow the rear end. Here's the problem; if the tire rides in the existing wheel well with a couple inches clearance for wheel travel, the whole body sits too high. The alternative is to leave the rear end full width and have the slicks outside the body lines. I don't want to chop the top and would like to have the frame closer to the ground. However, most of the pictures of drag race Bantams I've collected have the tires in the wheel wells.

How about if you radius the fender well up to the bottom of the body line?
I like this one

IMAG0009.jpg

Latest posts

Back