1927 Tribute Woodie-Built Dad`s way

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rex1927

This is car my brother and I decided to build in memory of our late father.1922-2010.He was boat builder and boat repair man.Also did some charter and commercial fishing.
He finally retired in 2001 and built a gob of woodie body`s.He built everything from high dollar maple body`s to ratrod.We still have his ratrod 27 body left,all others were sold.
The ratrod may be going as my brother is planning to buy new boat this weekend and will probably want it`s spot in shop for that.Anyway,lets get started on tribute woodie.
It is built the same way he built his.The only exception is my design is longer,to hold plenty of car show chairs and coolers,etc.It is chopped 2 more inches than his for a total of 6 inches.I also whacked 1 1/2 inches off of bottom.I also wanted flat roof,but he always used tapering beams,which looked more refined and gave more headroom.
I first made a plan with offsets,like used for boatbuilding.That way when I started building I could take measurements off of plan.Shooting for 119 inch wheelbase.This thing is going to be long for 27 woodie.Also going to use Dad`s hood and scoop.Like it or not,it`s going on there.:eek:
Built cowl from Dad`s mold he made off of steel cowl used on his rat body.Started with 600 board feet of Eastern Red Cedar I had.Plywood is Marine glue from south america.Not sure of species,but dad was going to use it and he always got good stuff.It is good looking plywood.First thing was putting wood in cowl.Then find a place in this messy shop to build it.

Attachments

• RR14.jpg
    RR14.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 103
  • RR4.jpg
    RR4.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 123
  • RR27.jpg
    RR27.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 105
  • RR28.jpg
    RR28.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 103
  • RR34.jpg
    RR34.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 93
  • RR5.jpg
    RR5.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 109
  • RR6.jpg
    RR6.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 94
  • RR3.jpg
    RR3.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 98
  • RR10.jpg
    RR10.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 105
  • RR78.jpg
    RR78.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 108
Got started by making room for flat table.Layed out sides using plan.Have to make sure both sides are exactly the same.Any differences now will only grow into big problems later.
Picked out the lumber I liked,planed it down,and I am ready to start.Cut and fit both sides and rear.When fits were good and everything checked out right,out comes epoxy glue.I splined every joint.
I also included Dad`s rat body in one picture here.I sure miss him.

Attachments

• RR13.jpg
    RR13.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 82
  • RR23.jpg
    RR23.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 76
  • RR30.jpg
    RR30.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 64
  • RR17.jpg
    RR17.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 67
  • RR19.jpg
    RR19.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 69
  • RR21.jpg
    RR21.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 69
  • RR7.jpg
    RR7.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 75
  • RR12.jpg
    RR12.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 101
  • RR9.jpg
    RR9.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 71
  • RR20.jpg
    RR20.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 67
Lets start assembly.Got to be sure everything is flat,square and exact same on both sides when putting together side and back pieces,or disaster will strike.Then glue up some thick stock for door posts.Make sure to allow for difference in width from doors back and posts ahead or everything will be out of whack.Also make sure posts are exactly the same from side to side in all ways.This will take a lot of time ,but most critical part to fitting cowl.If everything is done right,put on cowl and glue it up.

Attachments

• RR35.jpg
    RR35.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 61
  • RR55.jpg
    RR55.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 88
  • RR56.jpg
    RR56.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 69
  • RR57.jpg
    RR57.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 58
  • RR36.jpg
    RR36.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 64
  • RR33.jpg
    RR33.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 66
  • RR29.jpg
    RR29.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 56
  • RR25.jpg
    RR25.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 57
  • RR24.jpg
    RR24.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 61
  • RR26.jpg
    RR26.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 64
Ok,lets finish cowl area and put ERC around door opening.Here is where a missed measurement would strike too.Got to have right size piece above and below door to match rear when doors are on ,while having a lip for doors to shut aganist.Then lets put in beam shelf.Cut them together so they will be exact match.Then glue them up.Don`t forget to add plenty of bolts here.Also make 8 beams for roof and glue then in notches in beam shelf.Don`t forget the bolts when top is on.Bolt all the way through everything.

Attachments

• RR41.jpg
    RR41.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 57
  • RR40.jpg
    RR40.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 65
  • RR43.jpg
    RR43.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 55
  • RR50.jpg
    RR50.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 63
  • RR45.jpg
    RR45.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 57
  • RR49.jpg
    RR49.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 59
  • RR51.jpg
    RR51.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 63
  • RR52.jpg
    RR52.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 70
  • RR53.jpg
    RR53.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 62
  • RR46.jpg
    RR46.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 57
OK,We had to add a little to roof plywood to get just the right amount of overhang on all sides.And now everything is fitted,glued and bolted.Top is done until time for foam and vinyl.
Here is where I got a little sidetracked.I found inexpensive visor frame,so had to put it on next.Fitted and welded sheetmetal to it.A little filling and priming,then put it on.It will be bolted later.
Ok,Lets finish the body.First make door frames being sure wood matches rest of body as good as possible.I tried to cut around most of the tiger stripes I could on outside.Will probably use the tiger striped wood on inside.Also made tailgate and hatch frame for rear.See the maple strip I put between rear and side panel in last picture.
Gives it a neat detail.;)

Attachments

• RR61.jpg
    RR61.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 56
  • RR69.jpg
    RR69.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 61
  • RR68.jpg
    RR68.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 57
  • RR67.jpg
    RR67.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 57
  • RR65.jpg
    RR65.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 61
  • RR62.jpg
    RR62.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 58
  • RR60.jpg
    RR60.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 62
  • RR59.jpg
    RR59.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 58
  • RR58.jpg
    RR58.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 57
  • RR77.jpg
    RR77.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 65
Now plywood is on doors,tailgate and hatch.Front doors are hinged and tailgate and hatch will be hinged in next week or so.Then I have to decide wheather to varnish now or after chassis is done and body fitted to it.I will probably wait.
Always put off finish sanding as long as possible.;)
I sold some parts and was able to buy frame metal.2 sticks of 2X4X 3/16 tubing.I also got the 8 quarts of Interlux Schooner 96 I needed.So those hurdles are jumped.Got to get some D.O.M. for 4 link bars,etc,when budget allows.
I decided to play it safe and go with standard marine varnish that we have been using for over 25 years.I could have used awlgrip clear or some other high tech super shiny finish,but I have seen those peel if not put on just right.So I am playing it safe.
The varnish I am using will stand test of time without peeling.Thats what Dad always used.
Well,I guess thats about it.
Will probably stop for a while now,maybe till spring,as my brother has gone boat crazy and will probably not be able to weld much on chassis.I can handle woodwork,but I am no welder.I leave that to him,he is great at it.
Will post updates when I get back on it.
Thanks guys

Attachments

• RR73.jpg
    RR73.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 56
  • RRR.jpg
    RRR.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 51
  • RR64.jpg
    RR64.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 47
  • RR63.jpg
    RR63.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 50
  • RR76.jpg
    RR76.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 74
  • RR75.jpg
    RR75.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 49
Very nice job! That cedar will be sharp when you get the varnish on. You really have woodworking skills! I had a T cowl one time and had thoughts of building a woody like that, but life got in the way and it went down the road.

She is looking great! My dad is no welder fabricator but he sure knows his way with a hunk of wood. I would love a project like this with him. Maybe if I could find a cowl he would be willing to do something like this. We never had a father son project and I wish we did.

Finally done with--getting started

Got tailgate and hatch above it hinged today.[cl
Been a long road since I first dug into that stack of ERC in April or May.
Got to decide what to do next-if anything.
Would like to varnish wood now.But may be best to wait until it is mounted on chassis.Interior has to wait until body is on chassis and floor is in.
Body has plywood floor in it now,but I plan to cut most of it out and build floor out of 1X1 tubing welded in down about 3 inches inside frame to get more headroom.Will probably be big kickup at rear and probably in front of firewall to get car low.
Can`t be to low as long wheelbase will scrub,but I want it as low as possible.
Plan is to run used set of 20 inch rims and tires I found cheap.Dad liked big rims and this is his tribute build.
Anyway,that is my update.
Will have to wait until budget allows me to start chassis.
Thanks guys

Attachments

• RR5.jpg
    RR5.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
copy that on the more head room. I chopped down the seat brackets for mine to give me more room. I can go a little farther but then I think I would be sitting to close to the ground to be comfortable.

A little more done

Finally got a some varnish on body.Takes 5 1/2 hours of sanding between coats so progress was slow.Had to wait on fingers to heal.They would swell up.
Pictures do not look to great but shine is stunning up close.The shed it is in has just one path around body.Shed is stuffed full of lumber,old boat parts,engines,Dad`s old rat rod woodie project,etc,etc.I cannot get a good side shot with camera.Too much stuff to move and shed is dark anyway.
My brother is the foreman at local boat yard and came home one day with me a 330 mercruiser(454 big block chevy).It was sunk and new engine was bought.He asked boss about it when he was told to take it out to junk engine pile and he gave it to him.[cl
We cleaned it up and it runs fine.He also bought some chrome goodies and stainless blockhugger headers for it.
Should be a good tire fryer with 330hp at only 4200rpm.It was in 30 foot river yacht and planed it off,so it is plenty for my woodie.
Was also able to find a TR2X tunnel ram for it.
I plan on changing roof around and installing some of the interior if I can find money for supplies.
Well thats all I have done in nearly a year.No way to buy dom tubing to start chassis with yet.
P.S. All the clamps in pictures are just holding doors and tailgate shut.:D

Attachments

• 454-6.jpg
    454-6.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Copy of 0016.jpg
    Copy of 0016.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 72
  • DWV23.jpg
    DWV23.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 91
  • DWV14.jpg
    DWV14.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 79
  • DWV16.jpg
    DWV16.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 73
  • DWV11.jpg
    DWV11.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 69
New Picture Outside

I thought I had body sold.Man kept contacting me wanting to buy it for 2k .He just wanted to swing by and pick it up.Even tried to mail deposit,but I did not like that idea.He called every day,and even said he had cash ready.So I took his word and loaded it on dolly to move out to street for quick pickup and he never showed.
Big Surprise:D
Anyway,the up side is I got to throw a tire and rim up beside it and get outdoor picture before putting it back to bed in shop.
But for right now it is just sitting.The mosquitoes have been Terrible around here this year.They will cover you up back at shop.
We invented a homemade bug fogger for lawn mower last weekend and have them saying uncle right now.[cl
I plan to alter top and put in interior this fall if everything goes ok.
No money for frame yet.
Thats it for now.

Attachments

• cropped1.jpg
    cropped1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 82
Looks great.
This is what is so great about this site. People with multiple skill sets building some great projects. I've got a wooden boat on one side of the garage and my truck project on the other and currently no money to work on either so I am just doing what I can with what I have.
Hang in there and keep at it.
Torchie.

Latest posts

Back