1927 Tribute Woodie-Built Dad`s way

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There goes most of the top.:eek:
My brother and I cut it out yesterday.Spent the rest of the morning at planer getting lumber ready.
We are going to do a little more today and then I will probably wait until next week to continue.
It is his fall week off,so we need to spend a little time hanging around the marinas,etc,before his wife get`s off for for weekend.:D

Attachments

• sept4.jpg
    sept4.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 53
  • sept7.jpg
    sept7.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 48
The reason I cut top out was because I just thought it would look cooler and it would be neat to see interior when standing beside car.Plans are to end up with top about shoulder high when car is done.Thats the plan behind the madness of cutting up this nice body.:D
Anyway,we got the ERC around bottom of opening today.I decided to use finish washers on just this part.The face and top will be plugs over fastners.Took a few photos before and after Varnishing what we got done today.
Pictures taken in that shop always look bad.[S
Guess it could use some more lights,but doubt if ever gets them.:rolleyes:
Probably be next week before I do anything else.
Thanks Guys

Attachments

• sept24.jpg
    sept24.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 42
  • sept21.jpg
    sept21.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 42
  • sept18.jpg
    sept18.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 39
  • sept17.jpg
    sept17.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 35
  • sept16.jpg
    sept16.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 39
  • sept15.jpg
    sept15.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 36
Getting Closer

Got some work done on my roof surgery yesterday and today.
I got the face pieces on.It took 8 hours to plane,fit,sand and install them.
My late Father always said "Do your best and it just might be good enough" so I am trying for perfect fits everywhere. But man it eats up time.
Hope to do more work maybe tomorrow or next day.
Next is the cap and it is going to be pretty hard and time consuming the way I want to do it.
But that`s the way Dad would have done it,and this is his tribute car.
Here are a couple pictures.
More to come as I go along.

Attachments

• sept34.jpg
    sept34.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 23
  • sept35.jpg
    sept35.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 28
Finally got a little work done today.Dad`s old planers knife switch shorted when I turned it on,but I clamped it with vicegrips to get done.Foolish thing to do,but I have not had a good 220 shock in a while ,so went for it.:eek:
I finished up the cap on roof a couple weeks ago.Was planning elaborate one,but my brother said keep it flat.And he was right.It looks great.It just needs final sanding.Will have to be moved back outside for that.Probably next spring.
Today I worked up some ERC for the interior.Hope to finish interior framing before cold weather.
Will post pictures when I can.Been using my brothers camera to take pictures and his wife has it full.Will post some when she unloads hers.
Thats it for now.

I'm very impressed by the woodwork as I am totally incapable of making anything decent out of the stuff.

Wish you could work on it more.

Pictures

Top cap is done except for installing large 2 inch plugs.I have them made,but my brother is going to do final cut tomorrow at the marina.They have a saw to split them without danger of losing a finger.Then I just glue them in.
I got framing fitted around rear opening today.Using brass screws and just sinking them flush.It will look great when interior is varnished.Some of the real old yachts my Dad and I used to work on had interiors like that.
Am hoping to get more interior knocked out tomorrow,but Mom just called and thinks she is getting real bad flu.My brother has been sick and I guess she caught it.She is 82,so I am going over there first.
Dad is gone,and Mom`s health comes before anything else.
Here are some pictures from today.

Attachments

• picture432.jpg
    picture432.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 47
  • picture439.jpg
    picture439.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 52
  • picture440.jpg
    picture440.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 44
  • picture442.jpg
    picture442.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 46
  • picture437.jpg
    picture437.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 44
  • picture433.jpg
    picture433.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 45
  • picture431.jpg
    picture431.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 56
  • picture435.jpg
    picture435.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 45
Got 4 hours today.Here are pictures.
Man have I got a pile of planer shavings to wade through.:eek:
I can clean up later.I just want this woodie body done first.:D
Pictures don`t look like much,but it just takes time to fit and install.The doors are going to be a bear.
And when everything is finally done it all has to come back out for finish sanding and varnish.I hope real cold weather holds off or I will have to stop until spring when it is time to do final finishing.
Our shop has no heater.
Thats all for now.

Attachments

• picture451.jpg
    picture451.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 43
  • picture450.jpg
    picture450.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 47
  • picture449.jpg
    picture449.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 40
  • picture445.jpg
    picture445.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 53
You need to put a heater in your shop so we can enjoy this build all winter. Wood and I don't get along so I am very impressed with your work.

I agree with Bob, you definetly need to get some heat in your shop. This project is too dang cool to let sit all winter.

I finally got a couple hours work in today.
Finished top work.It is ready for sanding and varnish when warmer weather comes.
Our mother is 81 and has some health issues,so I have been with her most of the time.
Working 2 hours every 2 or 3 months it should only take another 20 years to finish:D
Maybe I can finish the woody body this summer.
However,Mothers health comes first if car never gets finished.
See ya later guys

Attachments

• sept36.jpg
    sept36.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
HI Guys,
I guess you will see this in parts for sale section and I wanted to tell you why.
Had to go to hospital emergency room because my leg was starting to turn red and blue below knee.They thought it was blood clot ,but thank goodness it was not.
But with no job and no health insurance I am having to try and sell everything I own to pay medical bills.Doctors,tests,techs,etc,etc
Anyway thats why body is for sale.Sure was a lot of tedious and hard work to sell at cost,but sometines bad things happen.:(
My asking price is my material costs to build,but I will bend a little to make a deal.
Thanks guys.

Hang tough. I have lost many things due to health issue's not the least of which was a house that my wife and I built ourself as well as my right leg...
We have also had no regular income for the last year due to my wife's unemployment and I have had to sell off as much of my stuff as I could to keep us afloat, And when things sold I was thankful for the money. If our situation continues my current project will be up for sale as well.
We do what we have to do to keep on keeping on. Family, our health and a place to live and food on the table take first priority. All the rest is extra and can always come back when the time is right.
Peace and strength to you and your family.
Torchie.

Latest posts

Back