1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little welding, grinding, blending, priming, blocking, more priming, more blocking, and more priming and it will be caught up with the rest. That ain't nothing if you say it real fast and don't over think it. Good luck with it.
:eek:[cl[cl[P[P[:eek:

A little welding, grinding, blending, priming, blocking, more priming, more blocking, and more priming and it will be caught up with the rest. That ain't nothing if you say it real fast and don't over think it. Good luck with it.

You said it POPS.[;) [;) [;) :D
Torchie

And if you're not the one doing it [ddd

Now that the amount of narrowing on the rear fender has been determined it is time to weld it all back together.
The first step is to get the mounting flange back in shape.
Pics 1-2. The flange has some issues such as cracks. Rust and the fasct that the rear 10" or so is missing.

Pic 3. This pic shows the main difference between the 48 thru early 50 rear fenders and the late 50 thru 52. The early fenders have a jog in the flange to allow for the raised side panels on the box. The late ones have no jog so they are flat. This will have to go as well.

Pic 4. A sight familiar to all of us. Lots of perforation where the running board attaches to the front of the fender. I'm not going to deal with that for now as this area may end up needing to be bobbed.
That's it for now.....
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_1867.jpg
    IMG_1867.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1869.jpg
    IMG_1869.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1871.jpg
    IMG_1871.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1873.jpg
    IMG_1873.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 13
Looking good. For me, this is the fun part. But it's kinda of getting to be "too much fun" on my 40 panel,lol.

It's always interesting to me to see what parts of a build that people like to do over other parts WB. I enjoy most all of it as long as it is "Not too much fun" as you say. Although shooting color is my favorite part as it takes me back to when I was a youngster working in the body shops.:D

Pics. Crack fixed and jog in the flange gone. Got to do some ciphering before starting on the rear section of the missing flange.
Thanks for stopping by.....
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_1875.jpg
    IMG_1875.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1880.jpg
    IMG_1880.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1883.jpg
    IMG_1883.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 19
I'm catching up on this thread so responses may be to some older posts.

Before I curl up with a book and some hot tea to fight this cold I went out to the shop and did some quick measurements. </snip>
Guilty as charged here too. There's something wrong with all of us. Even when we're feeling like death warmed over and can barely move, we need to go out into the garage to check something that's on our minds before we can really relax for the night, even if it means crawling to get there,

"must... go measure... the fenders...!"
guy-crawling.jpg

Looking good. For me, this is the fun part. But it's kinda of getting to be "too much fun" on my 40 panel,lol.

<snip> I enjoy most all of it as long as it is "Not too much fun" as you say. Although shooting color is my favorite part as it takes me back to when I was a youngster working in the body shops.:D

I'm right there with both of you, except for the "shooting color" part. It's something I still haven't invested enough time in. Maybe on the next one ;)

Great job on the flange. I'm watching to see what you come-up with for the missing section. I've got something similar staring at me for the future.

Onward and upward........
It's a beautiful sunny day here with temps at about 18 degrees so I have spent most of it outside taking care of business. But lets take a look at the rest of the flange repair.
The section that is missing will end up being about 24" long. The good part is that the curved piece of the flange that bolts to the box side is still mostly there and what isn't is fairly straight so I don't have to much of a curve to deal with.
Also when all is said and done most of this repair won't even be seen.[cl

Pic 1. This shows how much of the flange is gone. Part of the area also had a jog in it for the raised side panel like the front part.

Pic 2-3. You can see the rust damage to the top of the fender and also the curved part of the flange. This is a typical rust area on these fenders and some of it is due to a double thickness of metal that trapped all the crude.

Pic 4. Since i don't have any fancy tools like a shrinker/stretcher I will do this as simply as possible. The rendering shows what the piece that I cut out will look like. I will then bend it to a 90 degree on the dotted line with the short side meeting up with the side flange and the long side taking care of the exsisting rust on the top and continuing down to the bottom of the fender.
Checked my sheet metal stock and I may have to go out and buy some as all I have left is short pieces.
So that's the plan for now. Tomorrow I have to attend the 20th Anniversary Dance of the Big band that I helped start and directed for 15 years so this may all have to wait until Sunday.
Thanks for checking up on me....
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_1891.jpg
    IMG_1891.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1892.jpg
    IMG_1892.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1893.jpg
    IMG_1893.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1895.jpg
    IMG_1895.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 30
You are an interesting character Torchie. :cool: And thanks for working in that cold garage too just to keep us entertained with updates. :D:D

Like most of us I have worn many hats in my life eman. Musician has been just one of them.

Is the other fender in better shape or does it require the same amount of surgery?
Keep at it Bro.

Other fender is in better shape overall OI but will still need some repair in addition do the narrowing. I started with the worst one first.(I hope);)
Torchie

Like most of us I have worn many hats in my life eman. Musician has been just one of them.

Other fender is in better shape overall OI but will still need some repair in addition do the narrowing. I started with the worst one first.(I hope);)
Torchie

Haha, like me, I thought I started with the worst front fender, got 10 hours into it and looked at the other one only to discover they were both the worst, went out and bought a parts truck for better ones.

A break from our regular programing.....

As I posted earlier Saturday night was the 20th Anniversary of The Big band that I helped to start and led for about 15 years.
Good to see many old friends, but funny in that many did not recognize me at first with out the full beard/mustache and about 80lbs lighter.:eek::D
Some shots of me up in front of the band as well as playing bass. The last pic shows what your finger tip looks like after not playing bass for over 4 years.
Good time and great memories.......
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_1897.jpg
    IMG_1897.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1915.JPG
    IMG_1915.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1922.JPG
    IMG_1922.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 28