Smallfoot's AA

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm late to the party... But the handle idea is awesome... Keep up the good work!

Hey thanks everybody! snopro, yes, I'm planning on lexan for the door windows and will probably use velcro for raising and lowering them. Still playing with the "hows" on that but have a pretty firm picture in my head. I straightened out the existing usable window channels everywhere and ran 3/4" channel for the tops. I scored some 1/2"x1/8" felt tape to use in the channels at Ace. I plan on placing a roller near the top edge of my inside door panels. I also have some 2 wide velcro. There will be a piece looped thru a slot in the bottom of the lexan window, up and over the roller, which will allow me to stick that piece to a stationary piece on the inside of the panel. Might not be clear to ya'll on that but I'll post pix when I get it right.

CORPO smallfoot is my hero on the handle ... I wanted to do the same deal on my rat just have figure out what way I want it yet ... but its not going to be ordinary , and a stranger is not just going to walk up and open the door ...

Smallfoot, the early FX drag cars like Ford thunderbolts used seat belts to raise the windows. Had a snap on the door frame at the bottom, pull the strap all the way out, window goes up, snap the belt to the door. Get ready for the window down, just unsnap it and let it down, the strap follows down into the door except for enough to hold to to raise it again. You could use seat belt buckles, or heavy snaps like used on pickup bed covers.

Smallfoot, the early FX drag cars like Ford thunderbolts used seat belts to raise the windows. Had a snap on the door frame at the bottom, pull the strap all the way out, window goes up, snap the belt to the door. Get ready for the window down, just unsnap it and let it down, the strap follows down into the door except for enough to hold to to raise it again. You could use seat belt buckles, or heavy snaps like used on pickup bed covers.
I like that. :D

Funny you should mention that method Bama! I did some figuring on that idea before abandoning it to the velcro method. I have 3 different sets of self-retracting belts. On these A doors, there's just not much room inside. None of my belt sets was small enough to squeeze in there. I might find some smaller ones that might. I still haven't got to that part and my mind might change again. I do have all thats necessary for the velcro way on hand. I also considered harness leather straps with holes like a belt and place several studs on the inside panels to hit the belt holes...:D You can see the smoke, I'm thinking again...

Funny you should mention that method Bama! I did some figuring on that idea before abandoning it to the velcro method. I have 3 different sets of self-retracting belts. On these A doors, there's just not much room inside. None of my belt sets was small enough to squeeze in there. I might find some smaller ones that might. I still haven't got to that part and my mind might change again. I do have all thats necessary for the velcro way on hand. I also considered harness leather straps with holes like a belt and place several studs on the inside panels to hit the belt holes...:D You can see the smoke, I'm thinking again...
I'm like'n that a lot. [cl
Maybe antler buttons on the door and a slip thong on the strap. It would match the interior theme.

CORPO smallfoot is my hero on the handle ... I wanted to do the same deal on my rat just have figure out what way I want it yet ... but its not going to be ordinary , and a stranger is not just going to walk up and open the door ...

YT, I need to do some clean up and painting inside when I get done. I'll post pics of the inside rig. On this cab it was fairly easy to do because of placement. Where the centers of these handles go thru the rear skin, they also pass thru a 3/4" tube steel brace across the cab. My inside lever is actually longer than the handle but it's only 4-5" long and places the end of the lever close enough to where a short 3" rod can connect the lever to the latch release. The long lever over to the latch provides an easy place to trip the latch from the inside. It's at shoulder height and just outside the edge of my seat. The handle only needs to move about 1/4" before it trips the latch. If you need some help figuring it out on yours, let me know.

I'm like'n that a lot. [cl
Maybe antler buttons on the door and a slip thong on the strap. It would match the interior theme.

Skip, now you're tweeking the knife maker in me. I've been known to do some leather work. Consider this tho...how about loops on the inside door panels, maybe brass rings, large enough slots in the leather to slip over the rings, a deer antler tip for a peg....tap,tap,tap....don't worry, it's not a forest fire...just thinkin again!

Skip, now you're tweeking the knife maker in me. I've been known to do some leather work. Consider this tho...how about loops on the inside door panels, maybe brass rings, large enough slots in the leather to slip over the rings, a deer antler tip for a peg....tap,tap,tap....don't worry, it's not a forest fire...just thinkin again!
Yea! Now we're talkin' business.

HolyMoly!!! there's the answer to getting your windows up quickly in the rain. Visions keep flashing thru my mind of an upside down guillotine...:eek:
Don't forget to keep all hands, arms, etc., inside before pulling the "up-pin".

You're making my ribs hurt! [cl

Thinking about the mutt, that might be an answer to him getting out by himself if he figures out the peg. At least if he pulls the peg, the window would go up.[cl

Jeez, more thinkin...[cl

put a spring on the bottom side of the window to hold it up and a pin to lock it in the down position :D just a thought

That is just reverse of how my stock Lincoln widows were, the spring pulled them down, a hydraulic cylinder pushed them up closed.

Smallfoot, I wasn't thinking of using the retractors on the seat belts, only the straps and maybe the buckles. One end attached to the bottom of the glass, ran up and out to hang down the outside of the inside door panel. Buckle or snap to fasten attached to the door panel.

That is just reverse of how my stock Lincoln widows were, the spring pulled them down, a hydraulic cylinder pushed them up closed.

Smallfoot, I wasn't thinking of using the retractors on the seat belts, only the straps and maybe the buckles. One end attached to the bottom of the glass, ran up and out to hang down the outside of the inside door panel. Buckle or snap to fasten attached to the door panel.

I get you! I hadn't simplified to that when I thought about the belts. I was trying to figure in the spring tension like YTs idea. They would have worked backwards to that idea and if the peg was pulled, the window would go down. The rollers were too big and I nixed the idea. But I do still have plenty of belt material. I have to think ahead about things like that, he my riding partner on most trips and he's really good in a vehicle, but having him find an un-announced exit on his own would not be good. He's lived his life in the woods and does not understand the dangers of rolling objects. Getting out in town would lead to his early demise.

Latest posts

Back