Hodge Podge Rat Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good! See, I told ya it would look different with tires and doors! Just makes it easier to get your lines the way that you want them. Looks like you're well on your way! [cl

Boom !!!

A few pages ago I mentioned that a guy might want to trade a wrecker bed for my long bed. Well, the long bed is long gone, but the guy called me today and asked if he could bring that over. Well heck yeah! He is keeping the actual bed and the PTO winch, but I got the boom and straps and braces and dolly and for nothing !!! It's a Holmes 440 and going to look cool as heck on this truck (or the other one). Haven't decided if it is worth spending money to make it functional or just be decorative, but what a great surprise! No pics ... yet. :D

It's taking shape now, keep it up!

Thanks!

Just getting over the flu which put me in bed for 4 days. Hadn't been sick for over 8 years and then BAM. :mad: Never shake hands with a snot-nose kid.

Anyway, been thinking about yanking this engine and trans and put it in the other truck and get that running (with a simple carb setup) and put this one on hold for a bigger engine/trans combo since it has disc brakes. Quite frankly, this one has become a pain in the neck lately, with too many things on the ToDo list. It seems easier to get the other one on the road and then have more patience and time to devote here. Than again, maybe it's a Nyquill hangover talking...

Comments & suggestions welcomed. :)

Last edited:
Thoughts for today ...

Nice sign! I blow my own whistle, and sometimes horn too! :D

There's a 235 straight six with a 3 spd for sale that would be what came in the '59 originally. It is from a '59 Biscayne, pulled to put in a big block, runs and drives and would drop right in! The price is pretty irresistible since he just wants it gone. That truck already has the clutch pedal and I am really tempted to do that! But can I afford it??? Can I afford not to??? No, so going ahead with that. [S

Meanwhile, life situations have become too complicated with my elderly folks and have reached critical mass. I put everything up for sale and have people interested in the '49 IH cab and the '56. If they go, they go. There are going to be more, and quite honestly, I should have just started with one and left the rest for someone else. Sure is fun buying things, though! [ddd

So yes, I have to concentrate on just one, get over this flu and get the folks settled. At this point, I am leaning toward the '59 with the 235 and 3 spd, some sort of front end (maybe AD?), and the tow rig parts out back or not, with or without a bed. It seems the easiest thing to do and to cope with right now. Rightfully titled "Hodge Podge" because things are just a bit too messed up at this time. It can only get better, though ... :)

Last edited:
What's changed ...

..............uh huh.....we'll see.....:rolleyes::D

Well, if you have doubts and want to come over and lend a hand to make sure it happens, just let me know! :D

I bought the 235/3 spd for the other truck today, found out the IH cab sale fell through, but still have some irons in the works, so yeah, this one is back on as planned. Oh, make that plan B, as a matter of fact. :eek:

Almost over this flu ...

First day in two weeks I haven't felt like total crap, so I went out back and did some surveyin' and figurin', and have a plan! [cl

The stock gas tank won't mount back in the stock position, so I can mount it sideways behind the cab. There is an old fold-out table with rotted wooden top that will make a great metal frame to mount and house the tank, then make some panels to cover it up and throw an old wooden box on top that I have had for a long long time. Never knew just what to do with it until now! [ddd

Then get a short bed box which will sit behind that and hold the gas filler cap, and mount the Holmes tow rigging inside. There are a couple stock rear fenders for sale locally, but don't have the money yet. Maybe it's time to sell the Kraut Rocket (BMW) and fund these projects??? [S

Sounds like me, "surveying" what I'm goona cut up next...
This years flu strain is nothing to screw with. It kicked my buttt for 8 days!

Dunno about this idea ...

Yeah, that flu started as a head cold. 4 days in bed under the influence of Nyquill and two boxes of kleenex. Then it moved into my chest for another week and a half and nothing seemed to help. LOTS better today, so ...

Not so sure about this idea. It's just sitting on 4x4 wood pieces for now. Wish I had kept one of those truck toolboxes I sold last spring to pay dem bills, but ...
P7120195_zps94002b6a.jpg

Maybe I should just find another tank and stuff it under the frame somewhere ??? Hmmm ... [S

Won't hurt to put it there unless it interferes with whatever else you put back there...

I think it will be somewhat hidden by the bed and tow boom, and I'll probably put a box around it. It sure is an odd shape. The nice thing is that it will plug back into the loom and fuel lines and I'll have a working gas gauge. That'll mean a trim job on the '94 dash cluster to fit behind the opening. I don't have the '56 dash cluster ... yet!

Ideas welcomed !!! :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back