Hodge Podge Rat Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if you aren't using the chevy cab I'll double your money and give you $400 for it![cl

I intend on using it, just not on this project. ;)

Probably something like this:

1956-chevrolet-truckfront_zpsad6fb304.jpg

Last edited:
Created a new Build thread for the Suburban Assault Vehicle. :)

So anyway, back to the CURRENT project ... LOL

Found some sort of '50s front clip. Looks like an Olds or Chevy, both fenders and hood. Not sure if is still for sale, but sent them an email ... and yes, it is still there. Uh oh. LOL

And STILL trying to set up getting that darned I-H cab. Is it supposed to be this hard?

UPDATE: Getting the I-H cab (and the '56 Chev too) Saturday morning! Hooray !!! :D

Last edited:
Ummmm......how big? Cause i'm kinda running out of room here.

Property is 1/4 acre. Back yard is at least half that. Currently down to 3 cars of my own and 2 others that are not mine. One of those is going away soon, maybe two. There once was 15 cars back there a few years ago, and three out front. ;)

Last edited:
Well, tomorrow is the big day! My buddy is coming over with his truck and trailer and we are going to go get the '56 Chevy cab and the '49 International. I'm already so excited I can't sleep! Well, not yet anyway. Hope to be posting a pic of the '49 sitting on the chassis soon! :D

Speaking of that, I may have some clearance issues with the OEM gas tank. Not sure yet, but the cab may or may not sit in front of the thing. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Update: Got them both home safe today and unloaded. The '40 International was a lot more complete than I thought and came with the VIN tag !!! Also has the window rails, heater and blower under the dash, classic brake handle, rear windows although one is cracked, but not broken (can you say clear vinyl wrap?), and some other bits. They are both sitting on the ground for now, but will try and get the '49 onto the chassis somehow. Probably end up with some sort of sling and an engine hoist inside that cab(?). Some guy at a gas station asked how much for the Chevy, but told him it is not for sale. I doubt he had enough to pay what I paid, and certainly not going through all that work for nothin'! Thanks to my buddy Larry for truck and trailer and logistics assistance. It was a great day !!! :)

Okay, I need some ideas of how to get this cab onto the chassis. 4 guys (3 old dudes and one out-of-shape younger dude) couldn't lift it for long enough or high enough, so it is going to be me and an engine hoist. Keep in mind I am working in a gravel yard. No crane, no tractor, no tall trees, overhead beams or A-frame tripod. Chassis is about 3 foot tall right now.

I am thinking about jacking it high enough to get some posts or boards underneath, then put the hoist under the cab with the lifting arm inside, some heavy rope/chain/strap, lift it and roll the hoist on my "plywood road" and into place. Would rather not drop it along the way. I can roll the chassis around a bit, so maybe getting the body in the air and then roll the chassis underneath? Best I can come up with so far ... [S

You could make an A-frame pretty cheap with lumber and use a cheap come along to lift that cab. Construct it in a way where you could do as you said. Lift the cab and roll the chassis underneath. I know, you'd rather put the cash in auto parts but believe me, that lift will come in handy many times before you're done with the build.

A good hydraulic jack, two 4x4's, and something for blocking up the 4x4's.
Start jacking the cab up on one end, block it, move to the other end, block it. Keep going until you get it high enough that you can put the 4x4's under and it all clear the frame. Then roll the frame under the cab and jack it back down. It will be slow work, but cheap! I took a VW bug body off and put it back on this way.

All good ideas, and you are right smallfoot, I don't want to spend parts money. The jack and block method sounds good too, but as 'Bama says, would take a while. Time I have, but might be a little lacking in patience. The ramp method might work, earthman. I can line the cab up with the chassis, take the rear wheels off and put wood ramps on the frame rails and down to the ground in back. I have 2x6s that are long but sun-beaten and rain-soaked, so not sure how much I would trust them, but enough block to help support the load, and that might just do the trick. We used two of those to get the Chevy cab off the trailer and one broke, even with block supports. I have a come-along, and the cab is almost where it would slide up the rails on wood. Also found a sturdy palette built from all 2x4 that might slide under the cab, then use the engine hoist and lift from the inside, or use that as a slide up the ramps. Still thinking and absorbing caffeine to get the old brain working...

A good hydraulic jack, two 4x4's, and something for blocking up the 4x4's.
Start jacking the cab up on one end, block it, move to the other end, block it. Keep going until you get it high enough that you can put the 4x4's under and it all clear the frame. Then roll the frame under the cab and jack it back down. It will be slow work, but cheap! I took a VW bug body off and put it back on this way.

Done it that way many times in my youth. Oil drums and 4x4s and a handyman jack.

Step 1: Wheels off. Looks a lot less daunting now, and only need to lift it about 18" instead of 3 feet! Time to move the cab, and thinking the engine hoist method will be easier since I am by myself today.

P6270164_zps1bbe3f7a.jpg

Step 2: palette under the cab, SAV "tractor" pulls it closer into position:

P6270165_zps44736ba1.jpg

BTW, not only is this fun, but taking photos and updating here gives me a chance to cool off a bit. It's a hot one today! From the Valley of the Way Too Damn Hot Sun.

'56 Chevy cab sitting there watching, saying "When is it MY turn?" Patience my friend...

Last edited:
Step 3: Reposition rope, ramps in place, come on along! This is working SPLENDIDLY!!! :)

P6270167_zps32ace61c.jpg

You can see where the gas tank protrudes into the cab area. It looks like it is going to clear and sit more forward than that, so that's a good thing. Also going to have to clear the driveshaft and support, but not too concerned yet. Tranny also sits pretty high, but if I have to notch into the floor to get the body down on the frame rails, so be it! Don't intend to chop or channel or do anything to the wonderful patina but hang doors, and don't have a problem with adding a tunnel, as it will be a two-seater anyway. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back