Help with front axle set up.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksheep

Ok, my ol 48 Ford is stock paralell springs in the front right now. I am wanting to lower the front by going to a single spring set up. Can I just use one side and turn it 90* with newly built brackets? Also , will I run into issues with steering arm that runs to the passenger side ? This is the way it is set up right now. I am wanting to get rid of that extra two feet of frame that sticks out in front of my radiator.

DSC_1133.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

On my grandson's '38 GMC (there's a build thread on RRR) we used one of the Ford F1 springs as a cross spring. Had to add about 4 leaves from the other spring. I doubled up on the leaf next to the main leaf and then went every other and doubled those. We built a dropped tie rod to clear all the stuff in the way.

hey man check out this build thread, it might give you an idea or two...

"next project" (by hotrod preacher) it is my 52 ford f-1 and i think you'll like how we did it...wish i knew how to make it a link for ya:eek:

Well, I think I'm just gonna wait until my next build to change anything. This truck rides so good now, I hate to change it up at this point. I did notch the top of the frame and cut a pie shaped piece out of it, so I could lower it just about 2". I do like it much better now.
before
DSC_1138.jpg

after
1018001248.jpg

The reason it doesn't look like much , is because I also lowered the rear too by about1 1/2"

I've been doi9ng some reading on the quarter eliptic set up. I'm kind of diggin it. Any chance of me using my stock front springs for a projwect like this. Maybe a dumb question, but I just had to ask. Gotta save moolah where I can.

I used quarter elliptics on the front of my Morris. it was just some spring I found, cut in half and re-drilled a hole in each leaf for a lining up bolt.

I never had a decent camera at the time, so pics are a bit rubbish:

Insideviewofspring.jpg

Upside down view of spring pad, engine mount is the other small tab:
Spring_pad.jpg

Enginesteadybar.jpg

ellip_2.jpg

Springs_waiting_to_be_drilled.jpg

Thanks King Herald for the pic. Did you cut the springs yourself? If so what did you cut them with. tried to cut some with band saw and it trashed the blade

Thanks King Herald for the pic. Did you cut the springs yourself? If so what did you cut them with. tried to cut some with band saw and it trashed the blade

I cut them with a 1mm blade in the 5" angle grinder. That is pretty much what I use for cutting anything, even tiny stuff. Too lazy to reach for the hacksaw nowadays. :eek:

Latest posts

Back