GOOD NEWS

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrecker55

Tuesday, 10 February 2009
SEMA (the Specialty Equipment Market Association), issued a statement this afternoon announcing the Cash for Clunkers program has been withdrawn from consideration as part of the government stimulus program. Such a program would have been detrimental to the automotive aftermarket and restoration industry.
"We are equally pleased that the Senate voted to include a SEMA-supported amendment to the bill allowing taxpayers to claim a tax deduction for car-loan interest payments and excise taxes when they buy a new car in 2009," the prepared statement read. "We applaud lawmakers for spending taxpayer money wisely rather than wasting dollars on programs that do not spur car sales, reduce emissions or increase fuel efficiency.

"SEMA looks forward to working with the House and Senate and all stakeholders on sound economic solutions to the current recession."

The Cash for Clunkers program accelerated the demise of vehicles through the purchase of older cars, which are then typically crushed into blocks of sheet metal. The Clunker programs focused on a car's age rather than its emissions, based on the assumption that all older cars are environmentally unfriendly.

"SEMA continues to believe that a Cash for Clunkers program would, for no proven gain, hurt thousands of independent repair shops, auto restorers, customizers and their customers across the country that depend on the used car market," the statement further offered. "The automotive specialty aftermarket provides thousands of American jobs and generates millions of dollars in local, state and federal tax revenues."

Good for SEMA! It's good to know that there is an organization out there that is lookin out for us in the automotive repair sector and for all of us shadetree gearheads out there.

Good! Think about it, it would be much more environmentally friendly to quit manufacturing new cars and take the ones already in existence and repair or retrofit them with newer equipment. I think I've run this rant before here, so I'll let it go...:)

thats great because there are a few cars that i have been looking at that i would cry if they got sold out from underneth me to be crushed

like a Model A and another 34 teraplane coupe

soon to have bolth at home and you guys will be the second to know when they are home

Well at least they got one thing right. Its about time.
Hearing of that program depressed me. Glad its dead.

In the words of one brave sole that went before me..

YIPPPPPPEEEEEE

This bill is nothing new at all. I was browsing through a Street Rod Action magazine from 1992 the other day and it has mention of the same program almost verbatum. Didn't work then, didn't work now, won't ever work. Trying to take old cars from people is like trying to take guns - it just ain't gonna happen. I think SEMA is great and all, but almost makes me wonder if they fan the flames of things like this from time to time just to bring themselves a little attention...

Latest posts

Back