50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like I have secured the fundage to get the van, and a good friend will be doing the auto transport portion as he is a broker. So hopefully with any luck I'll have the donor van up here in the next couple weeks.

Tonight will be some frame planning, and taking some measurements, etc... maybe a little welding.

getting there one step at a time

The donor van is paid for, and the transport job is posted so with any luck someone will accept the job this week.

Tonight: cut out the passenger side wheel well and tacked in the new wheel well area.
This body was a real POS, I'm glad to cut it up as it didn't belong on a car anymore it was in such poor shape... Somehow the previous body man figured more must be better with bondo... ugh...

Also picked up some satin paint for the body, and roof and the arrow...
If it has too much shine I'll clear over it with matte clear...
Roof down to the body line will be shell color (like an off white), the center section of the quarters will be this color as well where pontiac typically painted it a different color.

The rest will be midnight blue matte/satin, and the arrow will be matte/satin red....
guess I'm going for an all american theme.... hopefully I can keep it on the flat side with this rattle can paint...
I might have just vetoed my own colors... red may end up chrome instead....

Attachments

• DSC04263.jpg
    DSC04263.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC04264.jpg
    DSC04264.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC04265.jpg
    DSC04265.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC04266.jpg
    DSC04266.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Look'n Good DR ! Thanks for the pics.

Thanks for the comments, these last pics don't look proportional, I have the "bed" lifted up a bit so I can weld, and the cab isnt centered on the bed anymore, I need to move that back over some....

I'm hoping I can get the fronts of the quarters welded back in for some strength tonight. I have a lot of finish welding and cleanup to do on the "bed" and the cab still...

I'm hoping to do some work with the frame too, I have some sketches drawn up, but I'm still sorting out frame height so that I can use the under floor brake MC & booster.... I also may have to widen the frame area under the cab to accommodate the booster, as I was planning a 32" wide frame on the outside which is 2" narrower than stock overall...

weld weld weld... got some of the passenger side finished welded, then I decided to grind and clean off rust/primer/bondo a bit to see how bad the passenger side really is... must have taken a hit in a couple places, mr bondo body man went nutz blah...

Anyhow, hopefully a couple more nights and the majority of the quarters will be done... thankfully...
Kinda tired of sheet metal work... looking forward to working on the frame more...

Maybe you could weld it to the cab and make it a unibody. (just tryin to make more welding work for ya [ddd)

Really looks good. Can't wait for some sunlight pics.

Lookin good

Hey DR looks like things are coming along for you ride. Thanks for keeping us posted. Can't wait for the end results. Cruisin' through this site is really a pleasure because we get to see all the unbelievable creations you and all the others make. Great work and have fun. Steve

SF: No unibody! heh heh, I have the steel for the frame, that will be enough work in itself!
AGD: Thanks for the comments, watching everyone's builds and the positive comments really keep us all going, and building.

weld & grind progress... progress I guess =)

Finished up most of the welding on the driver's side for the wheel well area and arrow...
Not as flat as I'd like it, but its a rat, so I can live with it :rolleyes:

Anyhow, also started on the end cap for the front of the quarter, pretty happy with the fit os far... still need to make rockers, and repair the multiple holes from rot in the quarters...

A few pics for the pic hungry!

Attachments

• DSC04267.jpg
    DSC04267.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC04268.jpg
    DSC04268.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC04269.jpg
    DSC04269.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC04270.jpg
    DSC04270.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC04271.jpg
    DSC04271.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 84
Looking Great!!

I really dig the pontiac back end......the build is coming along very nicely....really nice work and outside of the box thought....Nice....[cl

Hey DR, Getting ready to call it a day & checking in one more time on RRR. Was wondering some of your measurements, from cab to front wheel well opening on your clip & what is your wheel base?

Thanks

Hey DR, Getting ready to call it a day & checking in one more time on RRR. Was wondering some of your measurements, from cab to front wheel well opening on your clip & what is your wheel base?

Thanks

I don't have anything sorted out on wheelbase yet, as I dong have the driveline available yet to take measurements from.

I can get you measurements for the rear areas if you like?

Just had a thought.......

You should make the trunk lid open backwards and put in a rumble seat!!!!

Its a good idea, and I do like it, however, with how small the cabs are, I need room for chairs, cooler, etc to go to shows and such, so it will probably remain a real functional trunk... :)

I like the idea of changing the rear of the trunk to a tailgate and building a bed box inside of the poncho rear. Maybe grab a small japenease pickup bed center to drop in there.

I like the idea of changing the rear of the trunk to a tailgate and building a bed box inside of the poncho rear. Maybe grab a small japenease pickup bed center to drop in there.

I probably didn't really get into detail before, but my propane tank will be going in the area right behind the cab, so no room for a bed area... Thus my need for a real trunk area :)

I'll be running a liquid propane injected ford 5.4L 2V motor. :D

Today I started cutting all the pieces for the back half of the frame, learned that our saws do not truly cut on the angles I set them for... but close enough that I can make it up when jigging the pieces at 45 degrees...

I have all the main pieces and cross members for he rear suspension area... just need to do a test fit of the one rail, and then probably tack the whole thing together and bring it home to test fit it, and start designing the shock and spring mounts... something adjustable for height....

I know the full tank will weigh around 500lbs, and I'm not sure what the poncho rear weighs... maybe I'll weigh it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back