RATS// what's your'e reason for building them?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People are way cooler.... true! I love to see the look on the face of a"purist" when they look at my restomod or the RR. It is cheap and easy to makes these rides on extension of who you/i am. I get a little nervous when someone gets near my freshly painted Mach 1, the RR dont bother me at all. My 2 cents worth

i have always been to the low buck side of hot rods, like the post by herman i had family and home to take care of. i don't really call them rat rods, i call them hot rods, and i hope none take offence to that. i'm 49 now and in the pic i'm 24/25, still have the same truck, it don't look like this at this moment, it's coming back together slow, but in the pic it is rattle can black, the wheels where the white spokes that i painted with chrome bumper paint, it faded to look like alum. low buck builds all the way.

[cl

Nice Truck 26t.

You lkooked kinda scary in that pic. RR[ddd

Here ya go! Find an online sticker maker and have as many as you want ran... I'm giving this to everyone at RRR.

Why?

Because I can!

(I also threw my card in there :p)

Very well done , what will it take to get the ball rolling . Should a poll be taken on how many RRR guys would buy one .

Your the man , do a cost per . Don't know if everyone is reading or looking at this thread . Might be necessary to start a new thread . Allready have
interest among my guys the " Stumblers "

I raced stockcars for 13 years and got sick of fixin other people's (a few of my own) screw ups, but I loved building the car. With rats I can be as creative I want, not worry about tearing it up in the first lap, still enjoy the noise, smell and feel and I love the tunes.

the way i see it. its a one off, noncatalog car. most things are hand built with no boundrys for makes or part selection.

i will also agree with everyone else.

OK, I hate sanding. That's a big part of it. I mean hand sanding metal to me is like fingernails on a chalkboard - right to the bone. Even sanding wood, I generally have to be drinking to deal with it.

eight

8. my vechicles drives the chain parts store nuts [dr

example; in my area we call autoXone and they "Autocrone, this is bill, what are you working on that you needs parts for today?"

confusion:confused: half the time the dudes have no idea what l'm talking about.

going in is almost as bad, l tell 'em a 1950 dodge truck or a 1933 dodge and l need a -what-ever part-and what do l get? a look like ya think l'd ask for a free trip to disneyland or as l call it, a deer in the headlights look, followed by either ''thats not in the computer'' or 'that part won't fit, its the wrong year and or kind.

Later:rolleyes:

I guess I don't really fit into the rat rod category. I am just a guy who likes old cars. That said I like rats, even when I was a little kid I would pass by some shiny restored car to look at some beat up rusted ancient clunker. Usually I just fix up and old car good enough to drive around safely and tinker with it until I feel the need to get something different. There is no way I could ever be a restorer, I have no where even close to the drive or attention span. Traditional rods are cool too but they just don't light my fire like a rat rods.

I had a 65 Rambler that could be called a rat rod of sorts I suppose. I swapped in an 80s 258 six in place of the tired 196. I put on a carb off a 318 and retained the electronic ignition. I also swapped a rear end off of a 80s Eagle. It was quite jacked up in the back. That car was actually quite speedy.

From the sounds of it I might be getting a 55 Fairlane. I might try some rat rod touches to that car to make it a little more unique.

Not sure bout peoples thoughts on this, but i want to build rat rods because it would be a piece of me. I currently own a bunch of mustangs and have no desire to sell them, but i have found over the years, everything is the same. I own a 2004 Mach 1 and it was/is supposed to be a limited build, yet everywhere i go, i see them. If i go to car shows, mach 1's. If i go to the race track, mach 1's. The same goes with all of my other stangs.

Looking at a rat rod build, everyone is different. Yea, they may have some of the same looks when you view them online or at car shows, but they each have the owners own touches. So for me, i want to build something that people dont' see everyday, at every car show, or every race track. I too, want something that whether people like em or hate em, can see ME in it.

These are all great reasons. For me it is the limitless creativity and the cost. I don't have to spend 200 grand on flawless paint and polished billet for my car to be "acceptable". I can use a beat up old tractor grill. Got a rusted coke cooler? Well its a battery box. An old wrench can be a shift lever and so on. Your imagination is the limit to what you can do.

sure heres pics
DEI engine full roller race engine running off av gas
suicide doors 59 impala dash sectioned down 18 inches and molded into the doors so when the doors shut the dash flowed into them..
6 inch chop 3 inch channel
If you notice all the inside was sheetmetal filled in like the door panels and roof panels were all moled into the body..
It had a few modifications to it haha.. I miss that car. I sold it to a guy that is putting air ride on the back and he said he was putting something on the doors to solidify it as a rat rod.. I really liked it the way it was i thought it kind of bridged the gap between rat street and hot roders.. I mean there was some stuff about it that street rodders or traditionalist didnt like but the good overcame the bad at car shows and no one ever considered it a rat rod however it didnt really have a class to fall in lol.. and that was really all we were tryin to do with that car.:rolleyes:

I've seen your builds on your youtube channel. I'm a suscriber I think. Keep them coming....you do great work.

I do it for the feeling I get running down the road, knowing I put this together. I do it because rats are quite frowned upon in the area I love, and I don't give a finkin rats ... I'm a fairly rebellious sort, not that I go out of my way to go against authority, however, if someone tells me somethings wrong or that I shouldn't do it, I want to. Nelson(the town I live in) is hippie infested, and I'm quite proud of the looks I get driving my bronco with buddy holly blaring and my hair greased back and leather jacket on. I do it because I want to.

I love to see the creativity expressed in each rat that I see. For me it takes me back to the late 50's when at 9 years old I took my firs ride in a t roadster, it wasn't built in a Foose garage but by a back yard mechanic and I knew I wanted one, or more, rods when I was old enough to get behind the wheel, legally at least, from then on I owned 29,30, 36, 37, 40, 50, 51 woodie, 53 ford with a cad, 56, 57, and now a early 35 Dodge pickup. It must be a disease that has no cure except more rods.

Dirt, Dings and Rust, Oh My!

Fully restored, customized, and spotlessly clean Show Cars are like trophies.

Trophy; A representation of your achievement that you can be proud of, but.. it sits on a shelf or in a showcase. Needs to be polished periodically so it continues to look nice should you have guests visit and you allow them to admire your trophy room. It does nothing else.
Show Car; A representation of your achievement that you can be proud of but.. it sits in your garage or 'showroom'. Needs to be polished peroidically so it continues to look nice should you have guests that visit or take it to a Car Show to allow others to admire it. It does nothing else. If you take it out for a drive you are stressing that it is outside in the world of 'Dirt, Dings and Rust, Oh My! ..Dude! Get away from my car, you're gonna scratch it!'

Rat Rods, Ratty Classics, and any other daily driven Street Rod are like set of good tools.

Tools; An accumulation of equipment you can be proud of. But..are used every day, and don't have to be polished or cleaned. Even when guests visit your garage, they'll still admire them and say 'man, awesome set of tools'.

Rats of all flavors; An accumulation of equipment that represents your effort, imagination, inspirations and individuality that you can be proud of. Can be driven every day, doesn't have to be polished or cleaned. Everyday, everywhere you drive it, numerous individuals will make the comment..
'Man, that is awesome.'

I'm new to hot rodding, but rats are just more fun than polished cars with nice paint jobs. There's more variety and freedom. Oh, and I'm broke college student so I can't afford a super nice hot rod.

Why do I like rat rods? I'd have to agree with the finances and the fact that you don't care about getting bumped in the parking lot of Walmart. Scratches add character.[;)

Latest posts

Back