50 Panel progress

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joker, can you get to the back side of the fender where the holes are blown through it? If so, back up the hole with a piece of aluminum, brass, bronze, or something that the weld won't adhere to, and fill the hole that way.

It's actually right before the rear fender, on the side of the truck, and nope, can't get to it as there is an inner panel there. Makes it a pain to find a good clamping spot as well. I've heard about using copper in these cases as well, and only wish I could get to the area from the back to use that trick. I may have to cut the piece back out, and use a technique I was reading about the other night which is using a backing strip plug welded to the original piece. I'm hoping I don't have to do this as it's quite a bit more work, but for quality sake I may have to.

Well, some updates.. finally. Been busy :)

So the new mig works GREAT. Not only repaired the rear section I needed to get done without cutting it back out, I also got the cowl piece in before the show. I ended up only getting the thing in primer in those pieces that were previously sanded, but I had a great time. I was so busy showing the truck off to kids and older folks alike that I didn't even get a minute to go around and take pics of the other vehicles at the show. Over all, a real success.

That Friday night before the show, there was cruise down the old cruising road here in town. My trans was making some odd grinding noises during the cruise. Mostly stop and go traffic, so I figure the thing got hot and the synchros were grinding a bit from hot lube. Sure enough, I pull out of line, punch up the go pedal in some clean air, and instantly it stopped. So Saturday morning, just minutes before the show, I'm in the driveway changing out the trans oil. End of problem.

Been lately working on the drivers door, the latch was pretty much shot. Have the new latch in, just need to properly shim the striker and I'm good to go there. It's been way too hot around here (90+ temps) to get much done lately.

Will try to get some pics of the progress though when I get a chance.

Striker!

Been lately working on the drivers door, the latch was pretty much shot. Have the new latch in, just need to properly shim the striker and I'm good to go there. It's been way too hot around here (90+ temps) to get much done lately.

Will try to get some pics of the progress though when I get a chance.

Joker,
I'd definitely like to see pictures of u're latch repair!

BoB

Glad it's coming along & also glad you got it to the show. I'd like to see the pics of that latch repair, too.

Latest posts

Back