Compression fitting

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52 fordman

Okay I have 2- five foot long steal brake lines with out fittings on the ends. I was wondering if a compression fitting will be okay to put the 2 parts together? I am using a Holley electric 12 volt pump at the gas tank set for a carb ( so no high pressure ) Going to use P clips with rubber grommets along the frame to hold it in place.

Tell me your thoughts and suggestions. all the line and fitting are free! Even the P clips are free.

Thank you

52 fordman

Works fine on fuel line, just don't try it on the brake lines.;)

I'm not arguing, as I think you are right, but I bought an S-10 some years back, and it burst a brake line. When I got under it to see what I needed to do, I saw that it had been patched in that section already, using compression fittings. I told the guy at the parts store about it, and he said, Oh yeah, you can do that just fine. So since I didn't want to replace the entire line all the way from the front to rear, I put it back the same way. It was like that till I sold it some years later. (I don't remember what parts store it was, but it was one of the big chain auto parts stores.)

It works just fine on brake lines, as long as you use the compression fitting properly there is no concern.

You would need to make sure the one you're using is meant for brake lines, like this one: http://www.autozone.com/fittings-and-hose-line-connectors/compression-fitting/dorman-autograde-compression-fitting/103147_0_0/?checkfit=true

That's what I had, but later I needed to do a brake line patch on another part of the same vehicle, and since that would be the easiest way to do it, I went to AutoZone in our closest town. But the guy there wouldn't sell me any compression fittings, and said that it was not legal. So now I don't know what to think. (I ended up having to replace nearly all of the lines in the front.)

That's what I had, but later I needed to do a brake line patch on another part of the same vehicle, and since that would be the easiest way to do it, I went to AutoZone in our closest town. But the guy there wouldn't sell me any compression fittings, and said that it was not legal. So now I don't know what to think. (I ended up having to replace nearly all of the lines in the front.)

I've had several vehicles that had lines repaired in this way, and no reliability issues. It's brake fluid, not rocket fuel.

free is good. but let's call them what they are, you have 2 pieces of fuel line either 5/16od or 3/8od, and yes it is safe to join them with compression type fittings as your fuel pressure will not exceed the 300psi working pressure of the compression fitting.

but you should NEVER use compression fitting in a brake system, where you can see well above 1000-1300psi which is way past the limit of most compression fittings.

oh, and the insulated "P" clamps as you call them are "Adel" clamps, and are perfect for your use.

Peace, Love, and Happy Motoring.

free is good. but let's call them what they are, you have 2 pieces of fuel line either 5/16od or 3/8od, and yes it is safe to join them with compression type fittings as your fuel pressure will not exceed the 300psi working pressure of the compression fitting.

but you should NEVER use compression fitting in a brake system, where you can see well above 1000-1300psi which is way past the limit of most compression fittings.

oh, and the insulated "P" clamps as you call them are "Adel" clamps, and are perfect for your use.

Peace, Love, and Happy Motoring.

I did some checking on the working pressure of compression fittings and those meant for brake lines are much higher than you're quoting. The important part is using the right fitting for the job. If you're not comfortable with it, don't do it.

Fuel line

The fuel line is run and looks good. Thank you to every one who has given advice. Ill try to get a few good pics up of what i did.

Thanks again

52 fordman

I think he was talking generic store brand fitting...

I did some checking on the working pressure of compression fittings and those meant for brake lines are much higher than you're quoting. The important part is using the right fitting for the job. If you're not comfortable with it, don't do it.

I wouldn't use them but hey....if they work for you...God bless....jmho...

Latest posts

Back