Mini T bucket from golf cart

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzrodder

It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!
At the risk of getting booed for working on a golf cart, I thought I'd show my version of a kool kart. :eek: After wintering in Arizona and seeing everyone buzzing around in carts I figure I can do a better one - they are all so lame !! :confused: Even those 'glas 32 ish carts ($15,000 !) just don't look right. [S To me, proper wheels and proportions are paramount for "the look". So here goes, starting with the unlikely donor victim, a '91 Club Car.
Body off, a look at it shows me I'll use most components and build a new frame and body......

Attachments

• april  18 11 golf cart 004.jpg
    april 18 11 golf cart 004.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 196
  • april  18 11 golf cart 009.jpg
    april 18 11 golf cart 009.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 235
  • april 1 11 golf cart 03.jpg
    april 1 11 golf cart 03.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 196
Here's some concept scribblings I did for inspiration :rolleyes:. A look at the funky front suspension - about the only thing I'll use is the spindles and steering box. After shredding it I got started on the frame, here's the wheels I'm using, the new Halibrand knock-offs, 15 x 8 rears an 15 x 4.5 fronts, relatively cheap from ebay.
This is where, in my opinion, most carts lose it is the wheel choice - those tiny 10 or 12" rims just don't cut it for me

Attachments

• april   11 golf cart.jpg
    april 11 golf cart.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 225
  • april  18 11 golf cart 002.jpg
    april 18 11 golf cart 002.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 194
  • april  21 11 golf cart 001.jpg
    april 21 11 golf cart 001.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 217
  • april  21 11 golf cart 003.jpg
    april 21 11 golf cart 003.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 201
Thats gonna be a kool ride,, what are you gonna use for a body? you will have all those old golfers want one,,,,are those those new Rocket wheels,, ?

Thats gonna be a kool ride,, what are you gonna use for a body? you will have all those old golfers want one,,,,are those those new Rocket wheels,, ?

Thanks! I'm going to make the T bucket body from scratch in steel. [;)[;) They look like the new Rocket wheels but have plain center caps and no name on the backside. Got 'em on ebay for less than Rocket prices - my guess is offshore origin but then, so are the Rocket Wheels.
I think I'll peel the "golf cart etiquette" sticker off and re-use it...[ddd

Attachments

• april  21 11 golf cart 004.jpg
    april 21 11 golf cart 004.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 174
  • april  22 11 golf cart 001.jpg
    april 22 11 golf cart 001.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 193
  • april  22 11 golf cart 004.jpg
    april 22 11 golf cart 004.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 181
  • april  18 11 golf cart 017.jpg
    april 18 11 golf cart 017.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 186
my kids grandparents live in FL in a golf community. They moved there in 94 with a new golf cart and a new ford explorer. The ford has 11K miles on it right now and the cart is at 36K miles!:eek: yes, 36,000 miles in a golf cart! they drive it everywhere![cl

My friend has a cart that he uses for swap meets,, has the surrey type top on it, with full side covers, all painted up in Orange with speed stripes,. etc
I built him a custom trailer for it and all his party supplys he takes to the swap meets.. never anything to sell, just party stuff.. and of course a built in cooler, and BBQ... and a specal compartment for plenty of liquid refreshments,,,[cl
Yours is coming along really nice,, gotta keep a eye on this build,,,[P

really a fun looking project...a little curious on how much weight you will be adding and how to offset that with additional horsepower or gearing....keep us posted[P[P

I have to watch this. A friend and I used his dad`s cart to run around one summer(back country roads). We screwed with the governor(gas powered) and got it up to 22mph on a flat road with two teenagers hanging on for dear life! That was awesome, and this would have made it that much better....

-Johnson

really a fun looking project...a little curious on how much weight you will be adding and how to offset that with additional horsepower or gearing....keep us posted[P[P

Yeah, I know it will gain some weight by building with steel, I'll see how it performs first before diving into powertrain changes........[S

Now you have room for more batteries! More batteries = more power! [ddd

Hmmm - it occurred to me that there will be room under the hood for a couple more batteries - or a beer cooler.... :D ...now what would Tim the Tool Man do ??

Finished mocking up the stop & go pedals and mounted the accelerator control and other electric components. Rear shocks mounted, they look just like those shorty Pete & Jakes units. I made a jig and bent up a 5 1/2" drop tube axle, pruned the spindles and mounted them to the axle ends. Kind of like a go-cart axle, but better looking than the goofy looking stock Club Car setup.

Attachments

• april  24 11 golf cart 001.jpg
    april 24 11 golf cart 001.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 186
  • april  24 11 golf cart 005.jpg
    april 24 11 golf cart 005.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 180
  • april  25 11 golf cart 003.jpg
    april 25 11 golf cart 003.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 196
  • april  25 11 golf cart 004.jpg
    april 25 11 golf cart 004.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 176
A T bucket? I thought you were going to build a mini 34 Cadillac!:D

Hmm.... as you can see, the Caddy is patiently waiting for me to get back to it - this cart project should be done in no time (famous last words :eek:)

Now it gets interesting - made kingpins and mounted the front wheels, propped it in front of the frame for a preview. I'm using a set of 2 piece billet wheel adapters to mount the Ford pattern wheels to the Club Car's 4 on 4 bolt pattern. I don't have any fears about using these on this cart but I know guys use these things on street cars - I'd be a little freaked about that. :eek:
Had and old TCI Model A front spring that I cut in half to make 1/4 elliptic springs and mounted them. [;)

Attachments

• april  26 11 golf cart 001.jpg
    april 26 11 golf cart 001.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 198
  • april  26 11 golf cart 003.jpg
    april 26 11 golf cart 003.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 184
  • april  27 11 golf cart 001.jpg
    april 27 11 golf cart 001.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 177
  • april  27 11 golf cart 002.jpg
    april 27 11 golf cart 002.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 168
zz.. your projects always amaze me.. another awesome project and the speed at which you get stuff done blows me away.. Id still be scratching my head thinking about how to lay out the frame.. an you are already in a roller

Thanks CORPO ! Actually I was a little leery about posting this thread since it's more go-cart than car, though I figured enough things about it are similar to rod building to keep from getting flamed.....[ddd
So far it's pretty easy tho, mostly a matter of putting the golf cart pieces in the right places. It feels like I'm cheating - no engine, tranny, cooling system, brakes, or wiring to do, it's pretty much just metal fab.:)

Attachments

• april  26 11 golf cart 006.jpg
    april 26 11 golf cart 006.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 109
This is sweet. I want one!

Have you thought about producing these or selling them? I think there's a market for them. You'll probably be able to sell a lot of them.

Latest posts

Back